Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp p6 2100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will try to make this simple. I  fix pc's as a hobby. I use a 16 g  usb drive for win 10 OS. I have installed it onto about 6 various pc's effortlessly. I have an old p6 2100 desktop- 2012. It has 1 t sata hd. I upgraded ram to max and got a 256 g SSD just for a little speed up. It is just a spare pc is all. I removed the sata hd and put the ssd in, changed boot to my usb.  It  goes to the  install screen, etc but then goes to the drive and tells me it cannot install to "unallocated" drive, no volume, etc.

I have literally never  seen this before. I have been able to format, and go.

I have read, a dozen  articles on diskpart, etc  so I can  do this one step at a time as other then set up I cannot access anything. It will not read the usb to install. It does find it in my list disk but will not boot. 

I figure  there is something to do with the age of the pc.

So, basically i need step by step to allocate, rename, make volume, etc. I found some I thought had it all but nope, no progress. I  figured I needed to disable uefi and use legacy. I have  tried several different boot options with same results. 

Will not allocate drive and will not read usb to install.

There is NOT an issue installing win 10 on the pc , as I did put it on the old drive and runs fine.  HELP!! I hate not being able to figure something out. Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@kittenmueller56

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I understand that you are unable to create Partition and Naming Drives.

To create a new partition, the hard disk drive (HDD) or solid-state drive (SSD) must contain unallocated space that is not part of an existing partition. Shrink the volume on an existing drive to create unallocated space, and then create and format a new partition.

1. In Windows, search for and open Create and format hard disk partitions.

2. Right-click the Windows (C:) drive on the computer.

CAUTION:  Do not partition volumes named System Reserved, Recovery, Factory_Image or HP_Tools. Do not use these volumes for file storage. Doing so might prevent you from being able to troubleshoot startup issues or perform a recovery in the event your computer encounters a major problem.
  3. Click Shrink Volume from the menu to create unallocated space.

The Shrink window opens.

Shrinking volume to free up space

4. Without making any changes to the settings in the Shrink window, click Shrink.

Shrinking volume C:

When the shrink process completes, the new partition displays in the Disk Management utility as Unallocated space.

Showing unallocated space

5. Right-click the new partition, and then select New Simple Volume in the drop-down menu.

Clicking New Simple Volume

6. When the New Simple Volume Wizard opens, click Next.

The Specify Volume Size window displays.

7. Click Next to accept the default setting (recommended), or change the value in the Simple volume size in MB field, and then click Next.

The Assign Drive Letter or Path window displays.

Clicking next to accept the volume size

8. Select a drive letter from the menu, and then click Next.

The Format Partition window displays.

Assigning the drive letter

9. To name the drive, type a name in the Volume label field.

NOTE: 

Make sure Perform a quick format and Enable file and folder compression are not selected.

10. Click Next.

Selecting format for the volume

11. When the Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard window displays, click Finish.

NOTE: 

If an AutoPlay window displays, click the X in the top right corner to close it.

Selected settings in Completing the New Simple Volume Wizard

12. Wait while the new volume formats. The Disk Management utility displays the formatting progress, and then assigns the New Volume a drive letter.

New volume and size

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you boot your USB in UEFI-Mode?

Wenn the setup starts type Shift +F10

type diskpart

in the diskpart prompt type

list disk

sel disk 0

clean

convert gpt

exit

exit

Continue your setup

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.