Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 750-625rz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The 24-pin ATX motherboard connector from the original 300w power supply is missing two pins, specifically pins #14 and #20.  These are used for -5v and -12v.  I've read that the -5v was phased out after 2003 or so, so it's very common for this one to be missing, and both replacement 500w power supplies I've purchased recently have had pin #20 (-5v) missing.  However, both of them have pin #14 (-12v).  Do I need to remove this pin from the connector, since the original did not have it?  The first 500w replacement I tried only lasted 5 days, and I don't want this next one to fail also, if this is the cause and I can avoid it.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

No.

You do not need to remove the pins.

Are you  using enthusiast type ATX PSU units or just cheap brands?

I have never had a PSU crap out on me, but I  have always sourced and purchased well known brands for my PC builds. 

OCZ (doesn't exist any more), Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, Cooler Master, Thermaltake.  

Corsair and Seasonic  sell the most reliable PSU products in the consumer (enthusiast) marketplace.

Corsair. ( check out Newegg.com)

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/c/Cor_Products_PowerSupply_Unit...

Seasonic (also at Newegg.com)

https://seasonicusa.com/

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

It was a Thermaltake that lasted 5 days.

HP Recommended

@Gabbagul wrote:

It was a Thermaltake that lasted 5 days.

It is third tier, but I am sure that it had a warranty.  Contact the supplier for an RMA to get a replacement or a refund.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

That process is already well underway.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.