Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All

All my USB port were working just fine until the last Windows update.  I have a 4 port USB hub plugged in to one of the USB ports on my PC and every time I add a USD thumb drive I get a message saying "USB Port not proving enough power".

I have gone in to device managed and uncheck "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" on all my USB Root Hubs and generic USB hubs.

Is anyone else experiencing this since the last Windows update?  Or is it just a coincidence?

Could is be I am having power supply issues?   If so, how could I check the power supply?

Thanks in advance.

Ewan.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@EwanB,

Unless that 4 port USB hub is powered by a separate power supply, you failed to provide sufficient power.   Your sharing the limited capacilities of a single USB port into 4 ports.  An update did not cause this problem.

What you did not say:

1) HP model #, so I could see how many USB ports are available and what type.

2) What is hanging off those ports, in relation to front vs back ports.

3) What is used all the time, vs an occasional need.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

The model number is:  K9S03EA#ABU

The product name is: 700-350na

The hub was plugged into one of the ports on the front, just below the multi-card reader.  There was a 500Gb Maxtor USB HD with external power and I would occasionally plug in a USB thumb drive, 2Gb into the hub.

The hub has quite happily worked in this configuration for well over a year and nothing on the machine has changed, with the exception of regular Windows and AV updates.  The hub started complaining about power last week, 3rd December after the last Windows updated.

When troubleshooting these things, you ask yourself, what's changed?  Well nothing with the exception of updates!

Could it be a mains power supply issue?  Could the power supply unit in the machine have developed a fault and is now not delivering full power to the machine?

Regards

Ewan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.