Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion All-in-One 24
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Only 1 out of 3 USB ports on the rear of my computer are working. Do these fail and/or how can i re-establish them?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

1.   Look at device manager for errors  like a yellow ! on the USB hub device port or whatever windows like to call it.

2.  Look at the contact with a flashlight and magnifier for any damage.

USB ports are usually in groups with some USB2 (for backward compatibility) others USB3  They are controlled by the drive.  For example, the mouse will light up solid red or blue once the driver is activated.  The keyboard (also mouse) will flash or blink very quickly when power is turned on but the keyboard "caps"  or "scroll lock" led only lights up when the driver is activated.

if the devices you got attached blink for a second or a 1/2 when you power it on that indicated the USB circuitry is working and not shorted out.

If the ports are actually dead (shorted and smoke came out) then it is cheaper to get a hub for the few ports that are still working rather than repair it.  OTOH some laptops have a modular USB jack that can be swapped out..

HTH.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

HTH;

Thanks for the reply. Device manager shows no errors.

System a rather new (1.8 yrs) Pavilion unit. Got at Best Buy.

I have 3 USB ports, all look ok. Never saw any smoke come out.

What do you mean by a hub?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

If it's not under warranty the Geek Squad will charge $40 to do a diagnostic, You can get a powered USB3 hub with 8 outlets for less than that. Of course you have to have at least one working USB3 port to be able to connect the hub to. Windows device manager also uses the term hub when referring to multiple ports on the motherboard.

Have you checked the BIOS to make sure they're not disabled?  It's also possible to disable USB ports using windows group policy to prevent files from being copied when, for example, a guest is using a secure systemI'm not familiar with your system. Possibly a cable from the motherboard to the front panel USB port came loose.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.