Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
DF0003W
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Everytime I try to copy files to USB flash i get file corruption and bitmap errors. This has happened with multiple drives, multiple manufacturers.  The files are 460 GBs large. The corruption appears in several directories. I've tried formatting, LOW level formatting, Chkdsk, file sync with verify. I googled the issue and have tried all the "fixes" ...I've check the system integrity several times...I've checked RAM...nothing has worked. Different sizes USB keys were tried...several rendered unusable....a couple rendered dead...not sure where to go from here.....HELP!!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@GJBNH-1 -- can you "revive" those affected USB sticks by connecting them to a different computer, and then doing a "quick format" ?

The files are 460 GBs large

That is very large! The two largest-capacity USB sticks that I have are 512 GB and 2 TB, but the 2 TB stick is defective -- after copying a few very-large files onto it, it "freezes" or "crashes" my computer. 

Have you formatted the USB sticks using the HPFS file-system, or the default FAT32 file-system?

My concern is that the USB circuits on your motherboard are defective, such that they do not accurately transmit data, which causes "file-system corruption". 

Have you used free software, such as from: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

to create a bootable USB-stick, to do an intensive test of your computer's RAM, by booting from the USB-stick?

HP Recommended

***can you "revive" those affected USB sticks by connecting them to a different computer, and then doing a "quick format" ?

The STICKS (yes plural at this point) have XENIC bad blocks on the computer I have setup for Spinrite..

This has occurred on 256 and 512 GB sticks..

NTFS, fat32, and exfat formats have been tried...this occurs ONLY on sticks

***My concern is that the USB circuits on your motherboard are defective, such that they do not accurately transmit data, which causes "file-system corruption". 

This is my MAJOR concern....I know of no way to test the ports themselves...and everything I try to test USB sticks returns errors...do you know of any??

***Have you used free software, such as from: Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

to create a bootable USB-stick, to do an intensive test of your computer's RAM, by booting from the USB-stick?

Memtest and the built in memory test finds everything is ok....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.