Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

The specs are confusing re memory upgrades for my 64-bit OS.  It says 4GB is already (factory) installed, and indicates that

• there are 2 slots for memory cards,
  • they can support 4 or 8GB DDR-4's,
  • the max memory supported (64-bit) is 8GB

This is confusing.

1. If there is already 4GB installed, is that one of the slots?
  2. If the max is 8GB, is that 2x4GB more, or just one more 4GB (i.e., is the 8GB max how much additional can be added, or is it total, so only 4GB can be added)?
  3. Does memory have to be added in even doubles, such as 2 cards x 4GB or 2 x 8GB.

There is more I would like to ask, but I need to understand the above first.

TIA for any help you can give

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Inlander 

What is your Slimline 290 ?  One example HP Slimline 290-p0014, its specs (which shows some confusions, should be 16GB (2 x 8GB)):

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06066476

Your machine probably has same motherboard and you can upgrade to 16GB using  (or similar):

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct2k8g4dfs824a/ct13106806

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It's a 290-p0043w, and the specs are as follows:

Memory

• 4 GB
  • Amount: 4 GB
  • Speed: PC4-19200 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2400

Memory upgrade information

• Dual channel memory architecture
  • Two DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets
  • Supports up to PC4-21300 (DDR4 2666)
  • Supports 4 GB and 8 GB DDR4 UDIMMs
  • Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems
    NOTE: 32-bit systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
  • Supports up to 8 GB (unbuffered) on 64-bit computers
    NOTE: Maximum memory shown reflects the capability of the hardware and can be limited further in the operating system.

Are the expansion slots separate from the stated factory 4GB, so that whatever I can add is double what each slot can hold?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.