Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ExamplHP Elite 8300 Tower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Started out trying to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro  version 2004. Got message: "We couldn't update the system reserved partition." With advice from Microsoft Answers Forum got past that but installation would stop at 99% (16 hours later).  Ended up being advised to do a full clean install of Windows 10. Created a Media Creation Tool on a USB flash drive. Now getting 2 messages:

1. Checking for media presence
  2. No option to boot to

And that's as far as it goes.

Sure could use some help.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

i have a elite 8300 (SFF model) which uses the same motherboard/bios as the Minitower model

windows 10 v2004 installed without issues

you might want to reset the bios back to factory defaults

make sure the CD/DVD drive is in SATA port 0, and the boot drive in port 1

have all other drives disabled during the OS install

now power on and enter the bios, under the boot section of the bios set the boot order to

optical drive (if one is installed)

USB 

the in the hard drive section make sure your boot drive is the topmost entry

EDIT: during the win 10 install, at the drive to install to section, select the desired boot drive and MANUALLY remove any existing partitions, then proceed to the next phase (do not try to manually create partitions) just click on next so windows will create all necessary partitions

HP Recommended

Except for resetting BIOS back to factory settings, which I couldn't figure out how to do, what you list is exactly what I have been doing that doesn't work, i.e. gives me the two messages in my initial post.

HP Recommended

Moved USB drive to port on back of PC and installation started. Selected "Clean Install".  Deleted all partitions on the C:/ drive so that it was was all unallocated space. Clicked on install and got message: "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation."

HP Recommended

hello can I ask one question

what are you attempting,  w10 to w10 ? IDK. you said upgrading but left out from what.

W10 self upgrades at each step (builds) naturally under windows , security center , auto updates.

I guess you meant , had some old OS? there that is useless to  me and all data there is useless to me.?

and want to install w10 first,  as is always  best, but w10 installer has  a cool W10 to w10 , inline update. (magic yes) even keep data and programs intact.  (a huge benefit this now)

sorry for only asking questions.   a fresh install is easy , erase the drive and go,.

IF w10 is there now, and is not infected, you can do the easy upgrade.

go to security and setting page , click update.  it sees older w10 and updates it.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

w10 fresh takes me 15 to 30 minutes to install fresh on any PC here, any. (but all are SSD or m.2)

Sanddisk fast USB to SSD.

not counting the silly questions, spy this and that.

Done this vast times in 5 long years if w10.  (to many go count testing vast x16 slot cards)

there are pit falls here I will name but a few.

1: target hdd is bad. we run smart test in it and fails STOP. or it will take 100days to install. or never.

2: not removing the Sandisk, USB  install stick at the 2nd boot and now does phase  1 over and over to INFINITY.

remove the Sandisk, (aka thumbdrive) I use only the fasted USB sticks because life is too short for slow USB cheap sticks.

good luck installing.....

HP Recommended

you skipped step 2,  remove the USB stick so the PC can do Phase 2.

in the old days we had intel EL TORITO spec, that hard forced the USB boots to halt "
hit any key to continue) and at this moment you remove the USB stick so it did not boot endlessly.

if SSD OR SSD is at the top of the boot order this cures this too.

but I always remove the stick at end of phase 1, why ask for trouble I say to self, 

in BIOS

F2

turn off PXE NIC lan.

them make sure PXE is not in the boot order if there disable it.

then make HDD (0r SSD) first in boot order even if erased.

then make USB 2nd, in order

then boot the PC and hammer F9"?, this is boot on the fly menu BIOS then pick sandisk (or yours) then when phase one ends

the PC boots to HDD/SSD #1 first, the new boot drive, so phase 2 can continue.  30 mins work only.

this post cures most problems. (but not a bad HDD ) we test them first, or waste all week doing nothing.

I do hope i saved you wasted time, a bad HDD is endless waste of any ones time as is phase 2 boot locked up, endless.

good luck to you. ( the manual on your PC shows how F9 works, or other keys  on older HP PC)

HP Recommended

Will you provide me with a specific procedure to check to see if my hard drive is bad? Where do I find Smart test?

HP Recommended

Got new SSD in hopes that bad drive was the problem. Got same results. Hammered F10 and made the changes you noted, except the new SSD was not in the boot order list. Had USB, DVD, and two Network devices.  Restarted and hammered F9, etc. Installation started and got to the message about getting to the next phase. Removed the flash drive and clicked on Next and got message that a media driver your computer needs is missing. Was I supposed to shutdown first and then restart?

HP Recommended

Hammered F10 at startup. Selected "Set Defaults and Exit". Now on restart nothing happens and hammering F10 doesn't do anything. Help!?!?!?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.