Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z1 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am looking to upgrade my Z1 G3 Workstation with a better GPU - i currently have Intel HD 530.

I am looking at Nividia GTX or RTX ... but i don't know how to install them? Is it even possible? or only the Quadro M2000M would work?

Thank you for your help!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

There is an MXM video card slot on the motherboard. See p. 7. M2000M is one of the supported cards and if your computer did not come with it you will need to get the video card and the fan and heatsink. Perhaps other MXM cards would work. Post back if you really wish to pursue it as it will take a bit of effort to find the parts and figure out what can work and I am not going to do that unless you are serious. The cost of these parts is going to be pretty significant. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help ... Yes i seriously need to upgrade my GPU.

So another MXM could work? I cannot find M2000M anywhere... Would 

nVidia GTX980M 8G MXM SLI N16E-GX-A1 video Graphics card for notebook laptop

work as well?

Otherwise can i connect another card externally?

HP Recommended

External is not an option as you have no Thunderbolt 3 port. The thing I sometimes have trouble explaining about MXM video cards is that they are not plug and play industry standard like a desktop video card and not nearly as widely available. You can't walk into a Frys and buy one, for example. The safe thing is to get one of the ones the manufacturer offered and therefore has tested. Sometimes, other MXM cards of the same form factor and thermal properties will work but it is all unofficial and you have to search for MXM enthusiast sites to see if anyone else has tried it. A high end MXM video card and heatsink can easily set you back $800 or even $1000 or more.  

HP Recommended

Ok i would like to get the quadro m2000m then ... any idea where?

HP Recommended

You are in luck. This guy has the upgrade kit including the heatsink and the GPU. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Zbook-15-G3-M2000M-4GB-Video-Heatsink-822509-Z153H-MXM-Video-and-Heatsin...

This is about half what I expected it to cost. I did the same upgrade on my Zbook 15 G3 Mobile Workstation laptop and HP wanted like $1200 for the parts and I lucked out to find them from a seller like this on eBay although I paid a little more than this guy is asking but that was a couple years ago. 

Post back with any more questions but please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you! Ordering it now!!

HP Recommended

Oh one last question ... are there install instructions somewhere?

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

The Manual I linked above although they are not very clear if you study it it does show how to get to the motherboard. There is a diagram that shows where the MXM slot is and the mountings for the heatsink should be pretty obvious. 

HP Recommended

Oops hold the phone.  That auction is for the Xbook 15 G3 not your all in one. The video card is correct but the heatsink may not be. Have you ordered yet?

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=047A1AC5B16F4A44A1EE82C62379D612&SearchIn=P...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.