Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 8200 Elite Base Model Microtower PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my old desktop. Kindly confirm to me if the products as mentioned below are exactly compatible with my motherboard?

1. S K h y n i x 8GB DDR3 RAM 1600 MHz

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0BXJCQQWQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=A38PL5GL0YEWTN&psc=1

2. Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 6.35 cm (2.5-inch) SSD (CT240BX500SSD1)

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07G3YNLJB/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A14CZOWI0VEHLG&psc=1

Do I need to buy other components too? Please confirm to me if my motherboard has m.2 slot to support NVMe SSD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Just install the memory you bought and see if it works  

Sorry, but I can't help you anymore with this.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

The PC supports 4 x 8 GB of DDR3-1333 MHz memory.

From the memory link you posted, it appears that memory should work fine, but it will not run at 1600 MHz, since the PC can only run the memory at 1333 MHz.

The Crucial BX500 SSD should work fine but it is not the fastest SATA drive on the market. 

The Crucial MX500 would provide better performance.

The PC does not have a M.2 slot to support NVMe SSD's.

You will need a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter to fit the smaller 2.5" drive in one of the 3.5" drive bays.

ORICO 2.5 to 3.5 Hard Drive Adapter HDD SSD Mounting Bracket Tray for 7/9.5/12.5mm 2.5 Inch HDD/SSD ...

HP Recommended

I think to get maximum performance from premium brand like Crucial MX500, one sud also have premium mb. My mb is 12 years older. So I choose BX500 over MX500.

To install  Crucial BX500 240GB 3D NAND SATA 6.35 cm (2.5-inch) SSD in my mb, do I need to buy 3.5" to 2.5" adapter? Photo of desktop hardware has been attached herewith. .

Office desktop Hardware.jpg

HP Recommended

Yes, I have two 8200 Elite CMT's and I installed SSD's in both of them and they both needed 3.5" to 2.5" adapters.

You take the screws off the hard drive and put them on the adapter and it slides and locks into place just like the 3.5" drive does.

HP Recommended

CMT means convertible Mini Tower PC? Can u plz send link of product specifications of my PC? I tried but couldn't find in google. Detailed model no of my hardware along with serial no has been attached herewith. 

HP desktop info.png  

HP Recommended

Here's the parts list for your PC's product number:

HP PartSurfer

Here's the link to the model series' specifications...

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Series (kelsusit.com)

HP Recommended

Is my decision of going with Crucial BX500 SSD is right? Will I get maximum performance from Crucial MX500 SSD provided that I do have 12 years older mb?

HP Recommended

It depends on how much you are willing to spend for the extra performance.

The BX500 has these specs:  540 GB/S max read/500 GB/S max write.

I checked the price of the 250 GB Crucial MX500 and it is quite a bit more than the BX500.

Amazon.in: Buy Crucial MX500 250GB SATA 6.35 cm (2.5-inch) 7mm Internal SSD (CT250MX500SSD1) Online ...

The MX500 has these specs:  560 GB/S max read/510 GB/S max write.

I'm not sure it is worth the extra $17 - $18 USD for the extra performance or not.

If the $17 - $18 extra was no object, I would opt for the faster drive.

Both drives are SATA III and your PC's SATA 0 and SATA 1 ports are also SATA III.

The other two are SATA II.

You want to connect the SSD to the SATA 0 port (boot drive port) where your current mechanical hard drive is connected.

You can get another SATA data cable and plug the mechanical hard drive in the SATA 1 port if you want to use it for storage only.

HP Recommended

I think there is a typo. Read/write sppeds are in MB/s but not GB/s. I want to keep HDD and use it for storage purpose in same PC or may be in another PC.  Do I need to buy SATA data cable additionally to install SSD in my desktop PC?

HP Recommended

Yes, sorry. 

The speeds are all in MBPS  

Yes, you will need to buy a SATA data cable with the same type of angled connector on one end as your current drive has now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.