Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-447c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I use this computer for school, personal, and gaming purposes. It has been reliable since I bought it in 2017, but I want to upgrade hardware for gaming. Am I able to build upon this current OEM setup or should I build from scratch?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Mellorn , welcome to the forum.

You can upgrade the processor and video card.  The memory is already at the maximum.  If you upgrade the video card you will have to upgrade the power supply unit (PSU) to at least 500W.

The processor, i7-6700K, will cost you between $250 to $300 depending on where you buy it.  This is the fastest processor that is compatible with your motherboard.  It can be overclocked for more speed.  The video card can cost up to $400 and the PSU approximately $150.  This will be approximately $850.  You can most likely save a bit on the components, but for gaming you want some good components.

Personally, if it were me, I would consider saving my money and buy a new computer.  HP has some very fine Omen gaming desktops.  Of course, the decision is all yours.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.