Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slim 290-p0014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm looking to purchase this model, but I'd like to upgrade the slim optical drive to Blu-Ray.  Unfortunately, I was told by a retailer that the optical drive that comes standard with this tower cannot be swapped because the OEM slim drive was designed for this tower specifically.  Is this true?

Thanks in advance... Dave

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dja1980 , welcome to the forum.

HP does have their components made to their specifications.  They use their cases and motherboards in many different models.  Therefore, each model only comes with the the OEM components; unless it is a Configure To Order (CTO) model.  Then, they offer other options.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I checked the HP Partsurfer website, and it lists the OEM drive as "DVD - GNRC, ODD DVDSM 9.5 Slim Tray RAZR".  Can I not simply replace that drive with a slim 9.5mm internal drive such as this... https://www.newegg.com/p/1FV-0041-00002?  I guess I'm a little confused, especially after looking at the pictures.  It appears that there is nothing special about the standard drive it comes with... https://www.newegg.com/p/1VK-01TE-00005.  However, if there is something I'm missing, I want to know about it before I spend the money on this PC.

Thanks again... Dave

HP Recommended

@dja1980, I can't guaranty you that a retail drive will have the same connectors as the HP drive.  As I stated in my previous post, HP has their components made to their specs.  I suggest that you contact the manufacturer's Tech Support to see if they can tell you if their drive will work in the HP computer.  They are the experts on their products.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.