Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
870-144nd omen desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the 870-144nd omen desktop (with 1070gtx)

However, since the SSD that came with it (windows installed) is ony 110GB. I'd like to either install another SSD (my preference.. I'm considering Samsung 860 EVO 500GB) or replace the original SDD (transfer over windows to it, not sure how to yet). As the PC was so expensive I thought it would be easy to just buy/install another SSD, but I'm not sure if that's an option (whether or not there's another freely available connector, I think it's already taken by the SSD that came with it). There's also the M2 connector (but I think that's already taken by the bluetooth/wireless LAN stuff).

What are my options in this case..

Also...

It has the 1070gtx... I'm also considering upgrading the graphics card to a 2080ti (or 2080... maybe 1080ti). The current powersupply is 300w psu internal.

According to nvidia it says recommended system power for 2080ti= 650W:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080-ti/

So what are suggestions for SSD and graphics card (powersupply) upgrade. (Has anyone upgraded their 870-144nd similarly?). Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@omenuser42,

Interesting inquiry, but lets sort it into phases.

Here is a link to the service guide,  and other manuals ( hard drive and DVD)

Phase 1:  Samsung provides a free Data Migration software. Use it to clone the old 128GB to the new 500 GB.

Phase 2: PSU, swap out process. Document what you unplug, only unplug what is needed to remove the PSU.

What you need:

Phase 1:  On the cheap, you can use the leads on the DVD drive to connect to the new SSD.  After the clone, reconnect the DVD leads, then swap out the SSD drives.  That way you are re-connecting to the proper leads.

In the above scenerio, you would lay the unit on it's side (open).  Unplug the leads from the DVD, so you can use both with the new drive.  Just lay a piece of cardboard flat on the drive bay to stablize the new drive. Then clone.  After that, swap out the new SSD into the drive tray and plugs. (You must use the original cables for the boot drive).

Phase 2:  The Corsair CX550 is the ideal PSU. It is an exact fit.

Lets do some math, OK ??  Your existing GTX1070 draws 150W. The GTX2080Ti draws 250W.  Your existing PSU is 300W, performing adequate.  Lets add 100W for the new card, and then add a margin.  That means a 400W would be marginal. Lets add some otherhead, say 100-150W. 

Lets ponder the Corsair CX650... it is not an exact fit,  it is  3/4 inch longer.  And un-necessary !!!!

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the Data Migration stuff. I think I can manage that (when the time comes).

Just to verify.. 550W should be more than enough (150 overhead)? Is there such as a thing as too much power (as in: damaging for your PC)? 650W definitely falls in the 'too much' catagory I suppose.

I'll look into Corsair CX550 (however the place where I usually get my stuff only has COOLERMASTER MWE 550W, should this one work also as an alternative option? - dimensions seem identical for both: 15 cm / 8.6 cm / 14 cm). For now I'll go with your suggestion.

BTW I just realized/forgot to mention it also has a 1TB HD... I might as well just take that one out (freeing a connection) and replace it with the Samsung 500GB SSD (as an alternative option) so that I have: SSD (110GB) with windows + 500GB SSD (leaving out 1TB regular HD altogether) for games/etc, easy.. but replacing/cloning the SSD (500GB) + 1TB is perhaps a more elegant solution. Doesn't really matter I guess, but I have to ask, what would you do? 2x SSD (bypassing the clone stuff)..or 1x SDD (cloned) + 1TB regular HD.

One more question that arised: how do I do a factory reset of windows for the Omen PC (if you have a link). It used to boot in 7 seconds, now it takes much longer. Might want to do that first (used to do this with my old PC long ago, but I completely forgot). And what does this mean for HP support assist auto-updates (i'm out of warranty now, but I remember doing various updates such as bios/drivers etc), do I have to manually look for updates now?

If you (anyone) can help me out with these final questions would be great. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Deleted message because double post (site hickup).  See above.

HP Recommended

@omenuser42,

Immense re-buttal.  Intrigue .

The system will only draw as it needs. Having a reserve actually creates an advantage,  as the PSU will not be running at full potential. THere will less stress on the components (capacitors). All power supplies really has a "sweet spot", that point where the efficiency and load are balanced.  Most will state it is from 60-80% of the need.

Both are the same price ($50).  Warranty Corsair is 5 yr, CoolerMaster is 3 yr. If you trust a product, then get the CoolerMaster. 

Now about the HD situation:

IMHO, the 500GB SSD is an excellent choice.  That is all I use in my builds since I changed to 2.5" SSD drives.  5 years ago all I used were 1TB 3.5" drives in all my builds, and for incremental cloning of same.   (Stack of 20 used for 4 desktops). The age of the drive matters.  I clone my present system EVERY 30-45 days with a 500GB SSD as the only drive.  This drive is cloned into 2.5" WD 500GB drives.

So what is my advice:  Clone into the new 500 GB SSD. Get a new 2.5" WD500LPLX to do a clone 30-45 days.  At least you have a cloned backup ready ( data files within 30 days old). The original 110 GB (it is actually 128 GB unformatted) I would put to an external case, and use it to backup data files, and as a carry-around when you visit.  Orico has a nice 2.5" external case (USB3.0) that is usually less then $10 delivered.  Those $5.99 sites add shipping. As for the 1 TB, depending on age, you make the decision. I have had rates of 1 to 3 years survival, and you know their only running every clone cycle, their not running fully duty 24/7.

Your last question: Do then clone, and evaluate. 

Only if you had all the installed (what you added programs), backups of all data files should you consider a Factory Reset. The Win 10 lifecycle explains updates based on the current version installed.

The BIOS remains as updated. Drivers would be IMHO subject to the needs.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.