Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Desktop TP01-2165z
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to replace the 256 GB SSD that came with the desktop with a 1 TB SSD.  Can anyone point me to a compatible SSD and instructions on how to swap out the SSD?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@jhart4545 , welcome back to the Community.

According to the Product Specifications there is "One M.2 socket 3, Key M, (2280/2242)".  The Key M tells you that you can use a NVMe, M.2, SSD.  Here is a guide that explains the Keys and Sockets for M.2, SSD's.  Also, here is a guide to help you replace the M.2.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Old_geekster - Thanks for the guides - Quick follow-up questions-

The SSD that comes with the desktop is a 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD.   Are you saying I need to buy a NVME M.2 SSD?  if so, can I keep the NVME SSD in the desktop and add a NVME M.2 SSD and keep the HDD that comes with the desktop?

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @jhart4545!

@jhart4545 wrote:

Old_geekster - Thanks for the guides - Quick follow-up questions-

The SSD that comes with the desktop is a 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD.   Are you saying I need to buy a NVME M.2 SSD?  if so, can I keep the NVME SSD in the desktop and add a NVME M.2 SSD and keep the HDD that comes with the desktop?

The first part of your question is, No!  There is only one M.2 socket on the motherboard.  You can use a USB to NVMe adapter to use the current M.2 for storage of as an emergency drive.  It will still have the OS and will boot using USB.  The second part of your question is, Yes!  You can continue to use the HDD that came with the computer.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.