Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

some of the cheaper usb cards skip the necessary power regulation components, to make a cheaper product and these cards will usually have a external power jack

cards that have the power jack need it connected to supply the 300Ma power that a usb port is supposed to supply to external devices, and i've seen cards that should have ext power or onboard power but do not, meaning that any usb device connected to it must be self powered

HP Recommended

Sounds good, thanks !

Question please: 1 of the devices I'll be connecting to it will be an external long range dual band  hi gain wifi antenna/booster.

So I will need to just disable the internal 802.11n wireless LAN card, correct ?

(I'm hoping I don't have to physically remove it.)

Thanks !

HP Recommended

Good to know, thank you !

Does the one from Amazon in Pauls post seem ok to you ?

HP Recommended

not having used that card or that brand, and not knowing the chipset used on the card means i will not say one way or the other however the fact it has onboard power regulation bodes well and shows it's not a crap design

it's most likely that any usb card will meet a simple requirement like connecting one or two devices to a usb card

again, keep in mind that simple usb 3.0 cards ASSUME that they will be used in a PCI-E 3.0 based system, if used in a pci-e 2.0 system the throughput will be approx. half that of a pci-e 3.0 meaning you will not reach usb 3.0 speeds, it will be close however as long as no other usb devices are connected to the card, remember cheap usb cards SHARE the available bandwidth which is fine in most cases,  but can lead to slower speeds as i said

https://pcguide101.com/motherboard/can-i-use-a-pcie-3-0-card-in-a-2-0-slot/

HP Recommended

for those following along,......this user DOES NOT NEED A USB 3.0 CARD

he stated at the beginning it was for a high power wireless card

even the latest wifi 6ax standard will not saturate a usb 2.0 port

as such he can simply connect his high power wifi card to a existing motherboard usb 2.0 port

and then enter the bios and disable the motherboards onboard wireless

HP Recommended

@ DGroves

Were you refering to me on your last post here ?

I'm confused. 😕

Did you post in the right place ?

HP Recommended

you (and other readers of this thread) would not be confused if you will take the time to "FULLY" read the link i provided that covers usb 2/3 and the expected speeds in particular the section related to usb and wifi speeds

I did not choose that link at random, it specifically covers your posted request regarding usb 3 and a usb based wifi card

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.