Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
690-0010nw
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello

I have a rather old HP Pavilion 690-0010nw desktop.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RX 580

Motherboard: Sunflower

PSU: 400 Watt

I want to play is some more modern flight ans space sims (DCS, Il2). Without VR. Full HD resolution is enough for me. But I do not want to play on minimal details all the time.

I also want to do staged upgrade as I don't have the cash to just go and buy a new PC.

I'd prefer to end up with something along the lines of Ryzen 5 5600 with RX 6600

What upgrade options od I have?

I cannot put any stronger CPU as the only more powerful one still supported by the motherboard is Ryzen 7 2700. And such upgrade will provided very minor improvement.

What newer motherboard will fit this chassis?

Which more powerful PSU (500-600 W) should I take?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards

MZ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @MichalZyzakPL 

HP makes hundreds of PCs using the same case and power supply options with different MBs. I guess you could swap in a newer, HP only compatible, AMD MB supporting a newer Ryzen CPU. I don't think this would be cost effective.

And you will be limited to a 500 watt HP power supply, if you can find this, and limited graphics card upgrade options created by the case's dimensions

This Site has system requirements for DCS: 16 GBs of RAM, Ryzen or Intel i5 CPU, GTX 1070 or better. Nvidia specs for the 1070 suggest a 500 watt PSU. The 1070 or a newer graphics card having the same PSU requirements may work with a 400 watt PSU.

You have a Ryzen 2600, 8 GBs of RAM, and a RX 580 per this HP Site.

Check this Site which compares a 580 to a 1070.

I would say upgrading the graphics card and using 16 GBs of RAM should improve performance.

I don't game. Online gaming would require a good router and a fast and reliable internet provider.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @MichalZyzakPL 

The HP 690 PCs use proprietary: MBs, PSUs, and cases. You can't swap in retail components. You might be able to get a HP 500 watt PSU at eBay or Amazon.

AMD recommends a 450 watt PSU having one 8 pin PSU connector to the RX 6600. The 400 watt power supply may do the job.

Make sure the 6600 fits in your case. Your case can probably do a 9.5 inch to 10 inch dual slot graphics card.

I don't see a Ryzen 5600 working with your PC's BIOS.

A retail MB will not work with your case at all and a retail power supply will not work with the HP case and the HP MB.

You would have to change: the case, power supply, and MB to use a Ryzen 5000 series CPU.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for a quick response!

Is there no HP replacement to Sunflower MB with same dimensions and slots?

I am wondering right now, if any upgrade is worthwhile at all. 

I can add a better GPU and more RAM. But will that suffice for significantly better experience in Digital Combat Simulator?

HP Recommended

Hi @MichalZyzakPL 

HP makes hundreds of PCs using the same case and power supply options with different MBs. I guess you could swap in a newer, HP only compatible, AMD MB supporting a newer Ryzen CPU. I don't think this would be cost effective.

And you will be limited to a 500 watt HP power supply, if you can find this, and limited graphics card upgrade options created by the case's dimensions

This Site has system requirements for DCS: 16 GBs of RAM, Ryzen or Intel i5 CPU, GTX 1070 or better. Nvidia specs for the 1070 suggest a 500 watt PSU. The 1070 or a newer graphics card having the same PSU requirements may work with a 400 watt PSU.

You have a Ryzen 2600, 8 GBs of RAM, and a RX 580 per this HP Site.

Check this Site which compares a 580 to a 1070.

I would say upgrading the graphics card and using 16 GBs of RAM should improve performance.

I don't game. Online gaming would require a good router and a fast and reliable internet provider.

Regards

HP Recommended

Understood. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.