Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

recently obtained HP 8200 cmt(i believe) then bought ASUS HD GT7950 GPU later to realize the PSU problem. 

Does anyone know can i solve this with adapter,and can you point me to link where to get one?
i did google on ebay some,but all of them say its for z220 (is it the same? can i buy that and rewire something?) 

please help!!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The spec's for the HP Elite 8200 CMT indicate a 320 watt power supply.  You can verify the PSU rating by reading the label on the PSU. The AMD GT 7950 can draw depending on the make and model up to 225 watts. GPU manufacturers typically recommend a 500+ watt power supply with two 6 pin auxiliary power connectors.

HP uses a propriety power supply design. However, if you search the net for "HP 8200 Elite power supply" you will find a video on how to modify a standard ATX PSU to work.  You might want to consider letting a competent local PC repair shop handle the modifications.  I did see a pre-made conversion cable that is available overseas.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Hi,

I've found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUbocXdrFfw&t=34s

and he did an comprihensive walkthrough on how to "hack" this. 
My simple question is,if you saw this video,is it reliable? 

Im order that "power supply booster" and will arrive in few days.

Also do you have a link with datasheet and diagrams for the hp 8200 psu when i start connecting wires together

HP Recommended

The Youtube video you mentioned is reliable, especially the electrical diagram. When you order a conversion cable set on eBay,  you must check this and eventually rewire  plug P2.

If you want to get rid of the fan error message at starting up your pc you have to build a "fake fan emulator" and connect its signal cable to pin 2 of the P2 plug. (Google "fake fan emulator", it shows a simple, easy to build circuit of only 3 electrical parts which generates a fan RPM signal).

So I did successfully upgrade a HP elite 8200 CMT i7 and a HP elite CMT i5 pc with standard 500W PSU and both are working fine 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.