Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 8300 elite sff
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a refurbished 8300 sff put my old hard drive from my 8200 in it and upgraded the 4gb of 2x2 gb 1333 10600 to 4x4gb 1600 12800 cl11 but the system only recognizes it as 1333 mhz what have I done wrong or not done as everything I've read says it should operate at 1600 or is it a BIOS thing I installed HP assistant  which said i need a ROM upgradefor a 8300/6300 but this keeps failing SP77888 any ideas to help I know 2 different questions TKS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with why the memory is only running at 1333 MHz.

In all respects, it should definitely be running at 1600 MHz.

BIOS...

You have to format your USB flash drive with the FAT 32 file system. That is very important.

Use this free tool to unzip the HP BIOS download (sp73099)

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the sp73099 BIOS update file you downloaded and saved.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file into its folder name.

Once that is done, open the folder 7-Zip created, and copy only the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your FAT-32 formatted USB flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup menu and hit the enter key.

Select the File menu>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive and the PC should now see the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

I sure hope that updating the BIOS resolves the problem.

I just don't get why the PC isn't running the memory at 1600 MHz...

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69
HP Recommended

@Dickie-07,

I can only reference the offical document.  Section 3.3   DDR3 1333 aka PC3-10600 is the MAX.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

@Dickie-07,

As your manual is an update, follow it.

Suggest you read how to reset the CMOS battery.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Dickie-07 

What processor do you have installed?

If you installed the 2nd generation core processor from your 8200 Elite motherboard, into the 8300 Elite motherboard, the memory is only going to run at 1333 MHz, which is the fastest speed a 2nd generation Intel core processor can run at.

The PC's memory should be running at 1600 MHz as long as you have installed a 3rd generation core processor, which also runs at 1600 MHz.

See the HP quickspecs on the 8300 elite...page 11 clearly specifies that the memory should run at 1600 MHz depending on the processor installed (see the blue type).

http://whp-cpq.extweb.hp.com/cpq-products/quickspecs/14268_emea/14268_emea.pdf

BIOS...use the F10 DOS based flash method to update the BIOS (which I can tell you in advance will make no difference in the speed the memory is running at).

I can also tell you in advance that if you flash the BIOS in the 8200 or 8300 elites to the latest version when you have W10 installed, it will take as long as 2 minutes for the PC to restart anytime you need to restart it.

In order to prevent that from happening (other than not to update to the latest version), you have to go into the security menu and hide the trusted platform module.

If you use bitlocker in W10, that will no longer function with the TPM hidden.

And you are 100% sure that every memory module you have installed is PC3-12800?

I know on our other discussion you mentioned you had upgraded the memory, and I also forgot that you bought a 3rd gen core processor.

I have zipped up and attached a free utility that will give you all the hardware specs for your PC.

Check the memory info section on the left side of the window after closing the summary window.

It will tell you everything about the memory specs for each memory module installed.

HP Recommended

tks I used the utility and it shows my ram 4 simms they are all 1600hmz 12800 and the I5 3570 processor but the f10 shows 4 simms @1333mhz I haven't recieved the 8300 motherboard yet this is a refurbished 8300 that I bought with out an operating system and stuck my 8200 HHD in it and put my 12800 1600hmz ram in it.Tks

HP Recommended

Very baffling...What does the utility say about what chipset the 8300 motherboard has?

Should be a Q77.

If it has a Q77 chipset and the memory is all 12800 and you have the 3570 processor in there, then I have absolutely no idea why the memory is only running at 1333 MHz.

HP Recommended

Yes it says i5 3570 Ivy Bridge

mother board HP 3397

Bios 05/07/12 K01 V2.05

Intel Q77 (Panther Point DO)

I have  a EVGA gt730 graphic card (3733) 2gb ddr5  64bit

so everthing registers as it should but not the F10 is says 16gm 1333mhz

any other ideas

I've tried to down load the Bio flash upgrade but it won't accept sp77888 and then it said i need to upgade to 2.9 first then tried Sp73099 both installations failed.

one other thing under f10 system information setup

Flash System Rom says Removable Media Is Bad or Missing

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with why the memory is only running at 1333 MHz.

In all respects, it should definitely be running at 1600 MHz.

BIOS...

You have to format your USB flash drive with the FAT 32 file system. That is very important.

Use this free tool to unzip the HP BIOS download (sp73099)

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you install 7-Zip, right click on the sp73099 BIOS update file you downloaded and saved.

Have 7-Zip Extract to:  And let it extract the file into its folder name.

Once that is done, open the folder 7-Zip created, and copy only the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your FAT-32 formatted USB flash drive.

Restart the PC, tap the ESC key to get the menu of options.

Select the F10 Setup menu and hit the enter key.

Select the File menu>Flash System ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive and the PC should now see the files on the flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

I sure hope that updating the BIOS resolves the problem.

I just don't get why the PC isn't running the memory at 1600 MHz...

HP Recommended

Followed your instructions to the letter but F10 still give me the same message when I que it from the Flash system ROM command it asks for USB I enter and it says in red "File is missing or damaged "the same as before?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.