Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Your right and it has except for the error massage I'm trying to get rid of everting works great.tks for looking any ideas?

HP Recommended

> I have two other 8300 HPs. Wiring is the same and verified.

Ah, that opens-up another idea: pull the chassis fan from one of the other two computers, and connect it to the "bad" motherboard.

HP Recommended

With the computer powered-off, take a spare 3-wire fan, and connect it to the labelled 'CHASFAN2' 3-post connector (adjacent to the white-coloured 4-pin socket) on the motherboard, and boot-up the computer.  The error-message should not be produced. :generic:

How many wires come out of the "chassis fan assembly" and connect to the motherboard?  3? 4?

HP Recommended

There are alot there is a six pin white power souces that pugs in just back of the Ram Simms and a seven pin that plugs in diagonally by it and CPU power cable that goess to the front of mother board.I tried taking our the cmos battery to reset the Bios but that didn't work any other ideas I guess I could could cut the wires on the fan and use the plug as a by pass if all else fails?

HP Recommended

>> How many wires come out of the "chassis fan assembly" and connect to the motherboard?  3? 4?

Your reply indicates that you were not looking at the chassis fan assembly.

That assembly is plastic, not metal, and has one fan inside the assembly, and has just one cable that probably looks like:

> There are a lot. There is a six pin white power sources that plugs in just back of the Ram Simms

> and a seven pin that plugs in diagonally by it and CPU power cable that goes to the front of motherboard.

Those cables are the leads from the power-supply, not the chassis fan assembly.

Examples:

The case of the power-supply is metal, not plastic.

The 110V AC power-cord connects to the exterior part of the power-supply case; it does not connect to the chassis fan assembly.

HP Recommended

HP-Compaq-Elite-8000-8100-8200-240W-SFF-Computer-Power-Supply-503375-001

HP Recommended

> Image from CDS Power Systems.

Yes, that is the power supply -- it is not the chassis fan assembly

From page 1 of: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01883661

original.jpg

HP Recommended

the only fans are the one in the power supply that acts as the chassis fan sucking air out and the CPU fan at the front there is no chassis fan in SFF units

HP Recommended

> the only fans are the one in the power supply that acts as the chassis fan sucking air out ...

It's not quite true to say that it "acts as a chassis fan", because, by definition,  a chassis fan is NOT part of the power-supply.

The fan inside the power-supply is usually referred-to as the "power-supply fan".

> and the CPU fan at the front

OK.

> there is no chassis fan in SFF units

But, as you said, you imported a motherboard from a system where there *WAS* a true chassis-fan.

Also, you said that when you temporarily "patched-in" a true chassis-fan, then the motherboard was "happy".

So, you're basically stuck -- you cannot use SETUP to tell the motherboard to "ignore" the missing chassis-fan.

Your only way to "mount" a chassis-fan anywhere inside the SFF case, by looking for something like:

https://www.startech.com/support/FANDRIVE2BK

It is a dual-fan unit that fits into a 5.25-inch drive-bay (the size of a CD/DVD drive). 

Connect its cable to that 'CHASFAN2' set of pins.  

You'll get extra air-flow, and a "happy" motherboard.

QED  :Wink:

HP Recommended

I found the problem with my orignal 8200 mother board the jumper clips on the cmos pins had fallen off when I swithched it out for an 8300 and were lost I took the jumper clip from the new REFURBISHED  8200 BOARD and installed it in the 6000 chassis as it still had the orignal BIOS and I get the same eror massage rear chassis fan not detected it would seem the 8200 mother board and BIOS are not compatable with the wiring of the 6000 pro in some way as it keeps looking for the rear chassis fan although theres no rear chassis fan in a 8200 either & so to make a long story short I've set the 6000 pro board back up and and will live with the core 2 E8600 vs the I5  2400 there's not much difference any way.Thank you for all your help If you get any other Ideas how to make it work let me know because I now have 2 working 8200 mother boards!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.