Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0022na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got an HP Pavilion as a gift for my birthday, and I was wondering whether it's possible to upgrade the PSU and install a new graphics card (I have the gtx 1060 6 GB Mini in mind). I read that the HP I have uses a proprietary 6-pin connector for the PSU. Therefore, I can't just buy a 24-pin power supply. 

Is there a way to upgrade the PSU through an adapter? Does HP offer higher wattage power supplies and, if so, where can I buy them. Also, should I just take the risk and buy the 1060? My current PSU is 310 W rated Gold.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@HellKnight

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, you are trying to upgrade the graphics card on the computer. 

Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

HP Pavilion 690-0022na Gaming Desktop PC has a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4 GB).

Product Specification

You can upgrade to the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 but you'll need a power supply of 400 W or greater.  An extra adapter is not required for the PSU but make sure you select the right form-factor. You can look on eBay or Amazon for the parts.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

To thank us for our efforts to help you, please mark the public post as "Accept as solution" and click on the blue "Thumbs up".  

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@HellKnight,

Sadly your not able to use that card !

The HP 690 LINCS motherboard does use a proprietary power supply.   It is non-standard.    You can not adapt it.

GTX1050Ti is a 75W card, getting all its power from the PCIE slot.  The GTX 1060 and greater require PCIE power leads not available to the HP 690 series. See here.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

It's strange that the HP adviser said that I can, in fact, change the power supply, so I don't know what to believe, honestly. I am pretty sure that the motherboard uses a proprietary 6-pin connector for the PSU so I guess I can't do much about it. Would it be possible to use an adapter like this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Z220-Z230-SFF-ATX-24-Pin-to-Motherboard-2-Port-6-Pin-Power-Supply-Cabl...

If not, is it possible to order a PSU from another model that uses a 6-pin connector? Since I'm in the UK, most of the stock from hp parts surfer isn't available.

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658 

Hello, thank you for your reply. 

Is it true that I don't need an adapter for the motherboard? From what I see, the Lincs model has a proprietary 6-pin connector for the Power Supply, while the standart ATX PSUs available for purchase have 24-pin connectors.

Also, is it possible to order a power supply that has a 6-pin connector from another HP configuration and subsequently install it in my PC?

HP Recommended

@HellKnight

Thanks for getting back to us. I have sent you a Private Message with the details about the next course of action.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@HellKnight,

The linc motherboard has Two 2x2 pin plugs.  The first is the main power, the second is CPU power. There is an inline 3rd connector, with 3 wires, for the 12v fan line.

Where are you getting your information that the LINCS board has a 6 pin main power header?

Because you do not believe me, I have reported this to the HP Moderators. It will now become their headache.

It is your fault you did not look at the motherboard connectors before making that statement about 6 pin main power header.

LINCS MB.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Thank you  Old Geekster,

Appreciate your KUDO.

Alas the OP is going to melt down his computer with adapters.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended

I recently got an HP Pavilion as a gift for my birthday, and I was wondering whether it's possible to upgrade the PSU and install a new graphics card (I have the gtx 1060 6 GB Mini in mind). I read that the HP I have uses a proprietary 6-pin connector for the PSU. Therefore, I can't just buy a 24-pin power supply. 

Is there a way to upgrade the PSU through an adapter? Does HP offer higher wattage power supplies and, if so, where can I buy them. Also, should I just take the risk and buy the 1060? My current PSU is 310 W rated Gold.

hi dear freind

Upgrading your desktop PC’s graphics card can give your gaming a pretty big boost. It’s also a fairly easy thing to do. In fact, the hardest part is choosing the right card right card in the first place.

just my opinion 

and for how i know some steps 

1. Unscrew slots. 
  2. Unplug power connectors. 
  3. Plug out, Plug in.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 wrote:

@HellKnight,

The linc motherboard has Two 2x2 pin plugs.  The first is the main power, the second is CPU power. There is an inline 3rd connector, with 3 wires, for the 12v fan line.

Where are you getting your information that the LINCS board has a 6 pin main power header?

Because you do not believe me, I have reported this to the HP Moderators. It will now become their headache.

It is your fault you did not look at the motherboard connectors before making that statement about 6 pin main power header.

LINCS MB.JPG

@wb2001

Wow, I was just asking a question. Judging by the style of your writing, it seems that you need some therapy for your anger-management issues. 

What were you trying to accomplish with this reply anyways other than being smug?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.