Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Thanks for this incredible write up. It has inspired me to upgrade my 8300 😀

HP Recommended

It was my pleasure -as you can see, with a little effort, some digging and throwing some money at it, an 8300 USDT (or SFF, MT, CMT) can be transformed into a lean mean gaming machine! Very rewarding, to be sure.

[EDIT:] The one part that will take a little more effort to get and is pricey -BUT worth every penny, is the MXM 3.0 to PCIe X16 adapter cable/dock, specifically if you have a USDT. I paid $172 for it in August through an AliExpress company: "BESTAR Store".  Please note, if you were to search for this adapter on AliExpress, you won't find it.  You'll have to contact the BESTAR Store directly and get a quote/special order instructions. If you have an 8300 SFF/CMT and you want to use a full size GPU, you may need a PCIe X16 to PCIe X16 riser extension cable.  For pictures/details/chassis modification see my thread "Upgrading HP Compaq Pro 6300 SFF".

HP Recommended

Decided to go all-out: just purchased the most powerful locked and clocked LGA1155 CPU available -the Xeon E3-1290 v2. This processor's base frequency runs at 3.70 GHz, with a max turbo frequency at 4.10 GHz.

Xeon E3-1290 v2.jpg

Xeon E3-1290 v2_UserBenchMark.jpg

HP Recommended

Nice work! I've been trying to get my hands on the mxm pcie adapter for a long time now. Hoping to make contact with BSTAR. I don't know why this item is so hard to find. 

HP Recommended

Baupfhor -Let me know if I could assist you in any way to purchase an MXM 3.0 to PCIe X16 cable/dock unit through BESTAR if you run into any difficulties.  Obviously, you need to have an AliExpress account linked to your credit card.  Please note: in over three years I never had any issues with AliExpress (the Chinese equivalent of Amazon). Yes, shipping takes longer, and I always pay a little extra for trackable shipping, but you almost always get quality products competitively priced.

Through AliExpress message communication with BESTAR, they were willing to sell me this non-stock item in August for $140. I was instructed to place an order for the MXM adapter by selecting this BESTAR proxy product: R43SG-TB3 ($156 + $11.31 tax = $167.31) to set up the purchase, and they would reimburse the difference to me through PayPal (using your PayPal email address) after receiving the unit -which they faithfully did.

Yea, a little complicated, but it all worked out and the MXM adapter works flawlessly to this day: NO regrets whatsoever! Worth every dollar spend.

Getting back to the nitty-gritty: you could remind BESTAR to look for an MXM order placed on August 8th of this year. Mention that you need the MXM 3.0 to PCIe X16. They may ask you what motherboard and model it is intended for, in your case the 27" iMac.

Good luck -and let me know how it goes!

HP Recommended

Update on my eBay Xeon E3-1290 v2 order: looks like it will arrive within a week or so.

Xeon E3-1290 v2 Order.jpg

Intel Xeon E3-1290 v2 vs Core i7 3770K (cpuboss.com)

HP Recommended

Thanks, I have ordered a couple things in the past on AliExpress so I do have an account there already. I'm waiting for a response from BSTAR. I'm hoping to use the adapter for an old iMac. I used GDC Beast in the past on one with mixed results. I gave up on the project years ago and now Im revisiting it on a recently acquired 2010 27" iMac with a dead gpu.

HP Recommended

Baupfhor

An iMac GPU upgrade using its MXM slot to connect to a PCIe X16 GPU?  -A very interesting project indeed!  Yes, that appears to be very feasible, though it's going to be more involved than it was for my HP Elite 8300 USDT. -See this link how to disassemble your iMac: How to Upgrade/Replace GPU Graphics Card on Mid-2011 21.5" iMac - YouTube

When BESTAR responds to your inquiry, mention the specific 27" iMac model/year the cable/dock is intended for.

[EDIT:] Btw, I found this MXM 3.0 to PCIe X16 connector for the first time in August on a Chinese-customer based website: Taobao. However, I didn't want to create a new account with that company.  This is when I contacted the AliExpress based BESTAR company (good prior experiences with their products & customer support) and provided them with the Tabao link -which incidentally currently no longer works, unless you have a Taobao account.  Similar info as in this Chinese blog link: mxm to pcie external graphics card, success! Directly connected CPU loss-free external graphics card...

Keep me posted, please!

HP Recommended

Thanks, I did see that taobao link from the blob post. I was having issues getting signed up. The link did work the first time I clicked on it but was all in Chinese. Later trying to go back to the link on my MacBook so I could translate it, it didn’t work. Still no response from BSTAR. The imac isn’t too bad to tear apart. I currently have it running using a gpu from a 21.5” iMac to hold me over. I have a k1100m on the way to set up on it and that will eventually go into a 21.5” iMac. I’m hoping I can run my rx560 externally on the 27” and using a display driver board to run the display. 

HP Recommended

Baupfhor

Trying to be helpful: I just send the BSTAR BESTAR Store (link: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/118949?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000007.1.705c6ea71sO0aI ) the following message:

"Dear Seller, I received a notification from a person who is interested in purchasing an MXM 3.0 to PCIe X16 connector/dock for use in a 2010 27" iMac. Is this non-stock part still available for purchase?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.