Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop - M01-F0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does the 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ SSD in the HP Desktop - M01-F0024 have a heatsink?

Should it have one?

If I choose to upgrade to a larger SSD (specifically, the Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Internal SSD) will THAT need a heatsink?

Is there enough space to have the SSD with a heatink?

And if I choose to upgrade the SSD with a larger one, will I need to upgrade the power supply? I understand that standard ATX PSU's will not fit and I would need to purchase from a very limited selection that will fit from HP.

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Look for a recognized brand SSD and check the warranty period
For example you have Crucial with a warranty on some products of at least 5 years!
It seems more important to me
Otherwise, you need to find a model equipped, the one you mentioned is not !!
Then you need your pc to be well ventilated, if you have a poorly ventilated computer, I'm not sure a heatsink is that useful.
Adapted a heatsink on a ssd not equipped of origin, if it is possible, still it is necessary to find the good one, and indeed, it risks not to fit any more.
I think you are worrying for nothing, if we read all the studies it is more a computer than it is necessary

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
why do you want a heat sink ..?
The SSD you mention, like many SSDs, are designed as they are heatsinkless, there is no need for them
for the power supply I have not seen a power recommendation so far, as we can find for graphics cards
Just check that the SSD found matches the original one

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06442767

Motherboard Specifications

One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x4)

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I am asking about heatsinks because my preliminary research into NVMe SSD's seem to suggest that without adequate cooling they can be subject to throttling and degrade more quickly. It sounds like a factor only under heavy, extended workload, but I do not have enough information with them to come to any conclusions. This are several articles that indicate they might be useful, but they all seem to be  inconclusive, for example:

https://www.maketecheasier.com/does-nvme-ssd-need-heatsink/

I just want to ensure that I'm following best practices.

HP Recommended

Look for a recognized brand SSD and check the warranty period
For example you have Crucial with a warranty on some products of at least 5 years!
It seems more important to me
Otherwise, you need to find a model equipped, the one you mentioned is not !!
Then you need your pc to be well ventilated, if you have a poorly ventilated computer, I'm not sure a heatsink is that useful.
Adapted a heatsink on a ssd not equipped of origin, if it is possible, still it is necessary to find the good one, and indeed, it risks not to fit any more.
I think you are worrying for nothing, if we read all the studies it is more a computer than it is necessary

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.