Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 11

I was looking into upgrading my processor from an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G to an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 but while researching the 2700 I noticed the AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G has identical specs to the  AMD Ryzen 7 2700.  So I was wondering if the 5700G would work with my motherboard. When looking at my motherboard upgrade options the AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G is not listed as being compatible though. Does anyone know if I can use a 5700G with my setup?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

hi

Sorry but impossible to confirm
A bios update might be needed, but it certainly might not work with or without!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000a/37730935/model/22909853...

16-Aug-2018

https://www.amd.com/en/product/11171

Launch Date
4/13/2021

nothing about processor
Update HP Basic Diags to 2.2.8.0
check

Revision history

Personally I advise against it, because of the high risk

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Nick013,

I am in agreeance with @Prométhée.  Theoretically, an AMD Ryzen 7 5700G should be compatible as it is compatible with all 400 and 500-series consumer chipsets according to: https://www.techreviewer.com/tech-specs/chipsets-for-amd-5700g/#:~:text=The%20X570%20is%20our%20reco....

Your HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0024's motherboard has the code-named "AMD Promontory FCH" chipset, which includes the 300 series, 400 series, and specifically the X570A520 and  B550 chipsets, which happens to be compatible chipsets for the 5700G. Additional supported chipsets for the 5700G include the X470 and B450 series.

However, HP may or may not support the 5700G.  I did not find any HP-engineered desktops with a Sunflower SSID: 8433 motherboard fitted (yet?) with a 5700G.  -But who knows.  If you can acquire a 5700G and you can return to sender for a full refund if it doesn't work, it may well be worth the try, in my opinion.

NonSequitur777_0-1656262438215.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Indeed @NonSequitur777  but I'm not asserting anything because I've already seen both options here several times
Newer processor, compatible with or without bios update..
But also not functional, even after performing a bios update
Luckily, it works, in this case the risk is lower
otherwise, it would imply to try with bios update before
the bios update can be missed!
try, without update, it does not work, so replace the original processor, try to update the bios, risk with both manipulations
No time to look for failures, but a success here, which I've bookmarked, but that doesn't prove anything

Solved: Re: Possible to upgrade ENVY 32-A0055 to i9 processor? - HP Support Community - 8070627

given the configuration of this computer, if nothing else has been replaced, I would not consider changing anything else

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000a/37730935/model/22909853...

• Amount: 8 GB
  • Speed: PC4-21300 MB/s
  • Type: DDR4-2666

AMD Radeon RX 580

first drive

• Size: 128 GB
  • Interface: M.2
  • Type: TLC Solid State

very small, not practical at all I have a 256 gb, and it's already complicated

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.