Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p094
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried to upgrade my RAM from 8GB to 16GB on my Pavilion 570-p094. I purchased two 8GB DDR4 PC4-19200 2400MHz DIMM NON-ECC Unbuffered 288pin 1.2V CL15 Single-rank from MemoryStock.com. Everything on their website led me to believe they were fully compatible with my computer. After installing I still had only 8GB. I checked BIOS. BIOS read 16GB. I checked on CPU-Z and had 16GB, 8GB in slot 1, 8GB in slot 2. I ran HP Diagnostic. Slot 1 read 8GB, slot 2 read 64MB. Why? 

I switched the sticks and re-read everything and came up with the same results. I checked each stick separately, only having slot 1 used. Each time, 8GB was available, so I'm fairly certain the memory I purchased is fine. Is the issue with Slot 2? Why was it reading only 64MB? If BIOS and CPU-Z both read 16GB why is it still running at 8GB.

Thanks in advance for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are experiencing this because the memory modules have differences.

If the VDimm, module bandwidth,  the primary and secondary memory timings, the module format ( single or double sided) and the manufacturer of the modules are different could be causing what you are experiencing.

Purchase two guaranteed compatible memory modules  to replace the modules you have installed and the upgrade will work. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-570-p050

The Crucial modules will work with your desktop PC because both PCs use the same motherboard.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

If the VDimm, module bandwidth,  the primary and secondary memory timings, the module format ( single or double sided) and the manufacturer of the modules are different could be causing what you are experiencing.

Purchase two guaranteed compatible memory modules  to replace the modules you have installed and the upgrade will work. https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/pavilion-570-p050

The Crucial modules will work with your desktop PC because both PCs use the same motherboard.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. This makes me wonder why MemoryStock.com says these are 100% compatible. 

HP Recommended

The experience you had with MemoryStock.com makes me doubt their veracity.

It was their reputation on the line and your time that they were wasting in hopes of keeping your money.

If you purchase guaranteed compatible memory directly from Crucial you will have a positive experience. Crucial Memory manufactures the memory, so they know  that what they are guaranteeing to work will work.

HP Recommended

You are definitely correct about that. I'm still waiting for an email from their RMA Department so I can send them back.

In the meantime, I was checking Frys.com to see if they had anything at their Las Vegas location that meets the specifications of the product link that you sent me earlier. No luck there either. I'll probably just wait for the RMA from MemoryStock.com and then order from the link you sent, although, the one I need is out of stock, of course.

HP Recommended

@erico wrote:

Thank you Erico! Crucial.com did not have 8GB modules available, so I purchased one 16GB and it works perfectly. 

Maybe you could answer this question as well 😃. According to HP, the motherboard in my PC is an 82 FE capable of 16GB RAM in two slots. I ran the Crucial.com scan and it determined the two slots can handle 32GB RAM (MemoryStock also said this). Considering I purchased a 16GB module, could I put the 8GB module in the second slot to get to 24GB without a risk of damaging the motherboard?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.