Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello, I have a HP ENVY Desktop PC TE01-2000i and would like to upgrade my SSD. My current SSD is the SK Hynix BC511 HFM256GDJTNI-82A0A with 256GB, which came prebuilt/installed with this desktop. Could anyone give me some pointers?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The specifications your PC requires are PCIe NVMe Gen-3.0 x4 TLC NAND 2280 M.2.

Your PC does have support for up to 4TB M.2 SSD products.

The most recommended mainstream brands are Samsung, Crucial and Western Digital.

My own preference is Samsung.

If your OS is in good shape then cloning is recommended.

You will need a  M.2 adapter to put the new M2 drive in while cloning your operating system to it.

You will find good prices on Amazon.com

M.2 SSD options

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pcie+nvme+m.2+ssd&rh=n%3A172282%2Cp_n_feature_forty-one_browse-bin%3A1196...

USB to M.2 enclosure or adapter

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pcie+gen+3+nvme+m.2+ssd+to+pcie+x1+adapter&i=electronics&crid=YBXO3S6E49C...

There are two uses for the  NVMe PCIe M.2  PCIe x1 adapter.  Obviously for cloning your OS and  for using the original M.2 drive   additional storage.

After the cloning is complete, remove the adapter and  replace the original M.2 drive with the new one. Now you should be able to boot into it, verify all works as expected.  Now you can put the original M.2 drive on the adapter and plug it in and format it to make it storage space.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Great, thank you so much for the help. I would, however, like to ask what the process would look like if I did not want to clone any of my data. Would I just replace the old M.2 SSD with the new M.2 SSD? 

HP Recommended

You would replace the original M.2 SSD with the new one.   

the next step would be to install the appropriate operating system of your choice. 

The operating system could be a version of Windows or a variant of Linux.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Understood--is there a specific process to installing an OS to a new SSD that I should be aware of? I would like to use Windows 11. 

HP Recommended

It would help if you shared which OS is currently installed on the original SSD.

Once you share that information with me, I will provide the options for performing an installation to the new SSD.

Already knowing that will save me a few steps.

HP Recommended

Sure thing, I currently have the Windows 11 Home version, Version 23H2, OS Build 22631.3447

HP Recommended

Hey there, any updates?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.