Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp 24-e040nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good afternoon all,

Ik have a All-in-One (hp 24-e040nd) desktop and I want to upgrade the 7200 RPM hard drive with a SSD.  I made a recovery on a USB flash drive. Is this enough to restore Windows on the new hard drive?

This is my model: https://support.hp.com/nl-nl/document/c05563937

Regards,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AlexSlok , welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you consider buying a SATA to USB 3.0 adapter cable: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb3s2sat3cb

The adapter in my link is just one example of what is available.  This will allow you to connect any standard Hard Drive (HDD) or Solid-State Drive (SSD) to your desktop or laptop computer.

Once you connect your SSD to your computer using the adapter, you can run cloning software that is installed on your HDD.  When asked for the Target Drive you will select the SSD that is connected.  Once you have cloned the HDD to the SSD you will simply remove the HDD and install the SSD.  Then, go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the SSD.

You can use the HDD as storage by connecting it to your computer using the adapter.  Also, it can be used to boot your computer in an emergency by leaving the operating system on the HDD.

I have the exact adapter and use it all of the time to boot a SSD that I use for storage and financial transactions.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@AlexSlok , welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you consider buying a SATA to USB 3.0 adapter cable: https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb3s2sat3cb

The adapter in my link is just one example of what is available.  This will allow you to connect any standard Hard Drive (HDD) or Solid-State Drive (SSD) to your desktop or laptop computer.

Once you connect your SSD to your computer using the adapter, you can run cloning software that is installed on your HDD.  When asked for the Target Drive you will select the SSD that is connected.  Once you have cloned the HDD to the SSD you will simply remove the HDD and install the SSD.  Then, go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the SSD.

You can use the HDD as storage by connecting it to your computer using the adapter.  Also, it can be used to boot your computer in an emergency by leaving the operating system on the HDD.

I have the exact adapter and use it all of the time to boot a SSD that I use for storage and financial transactions.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and solution. I bought a cable like you said. I used the data migration tool from Samsung to clone my HDD to the Samsung 860 EVO SSD.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @AlexSlok! Glad to help.

Good job!!

HP Recommended

The cloning process worked, but when I switched the old HDD for the SSD the computer didn't want to boot windows anymore. I also wasn't able to get into the BIOS/ Startup menu. Put the old HDD back and it worked again.

@Old_geekster Do you have a suggestion how or why this issue occurs?

HP Recommended

@AlexSlok 

I believe that you have to enter the BIOS and set the SSD as the boot drive.  You should try tapping Esc or F10 or Delete to see if one of them works.

HP Recommended

Tried that, but the problem is that I can’t access the BIOS setup anymore when the SSD is installed. I looked around the forum and found people with exact the same problem. One (the only one!) of the solutions is downgrading the BIOS version. Haven’t tried that yet.

HP Recommended

@AlexSlok 

I suggest that you contact Samsung's Tech Support.  They are the experts on their products.  Tell them that you have tried everything recommended on the HP Forums.  Otherwise, they will try to send you back here without even trying to help!  It is called "the old shift the blame game"!

I don't believe that you can revert to an older BIOS.  In fact, I was going to tell you to update your BIOS the one that is from March 11, 2019.  Make certain that you use the correct BIOS for your motherboard: SSID 8381(F.42 Rev.A): https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-24-e000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/1...

HP Recommended

This is the BIOS version on my machine:

D9AE5AF7-6000-45F1-8561-5E09F8E51698.jpeg

HP Recommended

@AlexSlok 

It is definitely older than the one in the link that I provided.  I would give it a try.  Of course, you will have to use your old hard drive so the computer will boot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.