Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ5320F
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have successfully upgraded the RAM and installed a 500GB Samsung SSD in my CQ5320F so that it  is actually a fairly snappy, useful computer again.

I also had some questions on the CPU upgrade that was recommended to me found here on ebay .

Is the AMD Phenom II X4 a straightforward drop in replacement for the existing AMD Athlon II X2 240 CPU?

Are there any thermal cooling issues with making the switch?

Are there any power supply issues?

Any other hardware need to be changed?

Does it require a BIOS change?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@txflood , welcome to the Community.

@txflood wrote:

I have successfully upgraded the RAM and installed a 500GB Samsung SSD in my CQ5320F so that it  is actually a fairly snappy, useful computer again.

I also had some questions on the CPU upgrade that was recommended to me found here on ebay .

Is the AMD Phenom II X4 a straightforward drop in replacement for the existing AMD Athlon II X2 240 CPU? Yes, you shouldn't have any problems with the upgrade if you have the latest BIOS.

Are there any thermal cooling issues with making the switch? No, if you make certain that you add the appropriate thermal paste/compound.  The existing cooler should do the job.

Are there any power supply issues? No, I don't believe that the Processor and RAM upgrades should cause any PSU problems.  The SSD use very little power.  I wouldn't try to upgrade any further with the 250W PSU, however.

Any other hardware need to be changed? No!

Does it require a BIOS change? This may be the only problem area.  If you don't already have the latest BIOS update as I stated above, you won't be able to update because HP no longer furnishes software and driver updates for an eleven year old computer.

Thanks

Here is the Product Specifications page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01949110

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

So of course all of this leads to what is the latest BIOS version for this computer and who can answer that. Thanks.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @txflood!  I am sorry that I can't answer the question on latest BIOS.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.