Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hello guys. It's been a while since I last posted on this site. But let's get to my point.

I am thinking of upgrading my PC, which is a Pavilion p6540la.

It's specifications can be found here.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02255118

I want to upgrade it so I can play better games, and I was doing some research and it seems that I will need to buy another motherboard.

I am thinking of getting these new hardaware upgrades (in that order, those stupid motherboards and processor are expensive as hell):

1. Motherboard: ga-G1 sniper 3.

2. Processor: intel Core i7 3770k 4-core @ 3.5GHz.

3. PSU: Corsair TX 650 @650 W.

4. RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16 GB.

The main issue with the current motherboard (as I see it) is the processor compatibility. Could I get good (not excellent, but above average, and better compared with the current game experience due to the Intel HD graphics card withouth buying a new motherboard?

Thanks in advance.

Mario.

Common sense is not that common
-------------------------------------
HP Pavilion P6540la
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

Thanks for sending the motherboard specifications in English.

Here are the memory options:

Memory upgrade information:

• Supports DDR3 DIMMs only
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • DIMM types:

• PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs
  • Maximum memory only if using 4GB DDR3 DIMM modules.

You have four memory slots on the mainboard and can only use up to 4GB modules per slot (16 GB total) on a 64 bit system. Have you used: either Crucial's or Kingston's automated memory advisors to find guaranteed compatible memory? I am sending you a link to a nifty free program that will give you current specs on your installed memory and other components. It should help you when purchasing additional memory.

Yes, you have an available PCI Express x16 slot, probably Gen 2. When purchasing a graphics card you would need to check inside the tower to determine allowable length and height of card.

Finally, since you must make your own Recovery Disk set using HP's Recovery Manager, you do not have access to a Microsoft OEM Operating System setup disk. Adding a new graphics card will cause HP's Recovery procedure, should you be unable to boot or repair your system, to fail unless you disable or remove the graphics card and use factory installed graphics.

Hope this helps.

Happy Computing!

Jaco

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

You have an excellent processor, no need to upgrade unless you move to an i7 4770k or an i7 4720k, i7 4930k. or an i7 4960k. You would have to change the mainboard in that case. 

You should be able to add a better graphics card vs the integrated Intel graphics. That is your bottleneck. You will need to upgrade the power supply since the factory power supply is rated at 250W. I do not know if you have a PCIe x16 expansion slot on the mainboard (language)? You would need an open slot to add better graphics capabilities.

You may have compatibility issues on installing the Kingston RAM mentioned in your post.

Jaco +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
1 -H8 1380t CTO, Intel i7 3820 processor.
16 GB DDR3, PC3 -12800 Ram. AMI bios(UEFI).
Pegatron Motherboard- IPIWB-PB (Pittsburg) Beats Audio. AMD Graphics, Radeon HD 7570 1GB. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro.

2 -Envy Phoenix 810-150se.
Win 8.1 Pro
i7 4820k Ivy Bridge, Pittsburg2 Mainboard, 12 GB DDR3, NVIDIA GTX 645- 2GB GDDR5. Win 8 Pro.
Liquid cooled system.

3 -HP 560z CTO AMD processor and chipset, AMD 6570 HD graphics, 16 GB DDR3. Win 7 Home Premium upgraded to Win 7 Pro.

4 - HP ENVY 17t-j000 CTO Quad Edition Notebook. Win 8.0 Pro

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

So I'm thinking of staying with this processor now, and just upgrading its GPU and RAM. 

I checked and it seems that there are no compatibility issues with that specific model of RAM, but could you suggest one that will surely work??? Is it because of the 8GB modules? Do I need to get 4GB modules instead?

The motherboard (MS-7613 Iona-GL8E) does have a PCI Express x16 for a graphics card. 

I didn't realise I posted the link to the info in Spanish. Sorry. Smiley Tonguej

Again, these are the motherboard specifications

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02014355

I am now thinking of buying only the PSU, the GPU and the RAM for my PC. Thanks.

HP Pavilion P6540la
HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

Thanks for sending the motherboard specifications in English.

Here are the memory options:

Memory upgrade information:

• Supports DDR3 DIMMs only
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Four DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
  • DIMM types:

• PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)
  • PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
  • Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  • Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs
  • Maximum memory only if using 4GB DDR3 DIMM modules.

You have four memory slots on the mainboard and can only use up to 4GB modules per slot (16 GB total) on a 64 bit system. Have you used: either Crucial's or Kingston's automated memory advisors to find guaranteed compatible memory? I am sending you a link to a nifty free program that will give you current specs on your installed memory and other components. It should help you when purchasing additional memory.

Yes, you have an available PCI Express x16 slot, probably Gen 2. When purchasing a graphics card you would need to check inside the tower to determine allowable length and height of card.

Finally, since you must make your own Recovery Disk set using HP's Recovery Manager, you do not have access to a Microsoft OEM Operating System setup disk. Adding a new graphics card will cause HP's Recovery procedure, should you be unable to boot or repair your system, to fail unless you disable or remove the graphics card and use factory installed graphics.

Hope this helps.

Happy Computing!

Jaco
HP Recommended

I'm sorry for the delay but I had no access to internet during the weekend.

Anyway, I've downloaded the program you recommended.

On the last part, you are telling me that a graphics card installation will cause the Recovery funciton to start and then what? Will it fail? Do I need to buy another licence from Microsoft?

I'm already thinking of gettin a new Hard Drive also, so I'm going to do a backup of everything before doing anything, but that part is really scaring me. I don't want to install Windows all over again, but since I'm part of one of the Microsoft alliance programmes (Dreamspark, I believe) I should have no hard time downloading another OS from them. But is it neccesary? Or just in case something fails?

I didn't really ubderstand that (maybe my English is not that good :P), but thanks.

I'm just waiting for december 15th to get some money (and time) and I will proceed with the upgrade.

Thanks!

HP Pavilion P6540la
HP Recommended

Hi,

You don't need a new operating system license. If you replace the mainboard with a different model then you would need a new license. The HP recovery process will not start because you installed a new graphics card.

When you change or upgrade graphics cards and certain other system components, you change the installed system driver profile. The HP factory image contains drivers and cetain system files which work with the original install but will not work with the upgraded components.

Good Luck.

Jaco

HP Recommended

Oh I get it now. So you are telling me that in case of running the hp recovery program it will fail unless I remove the new graphics card, is that right?

I'm still doing that backup because I want to install another OS, maybe Linux or Win XP, and I will have to format it.

Thanks again.

HP Pavilion P6540la
HP Recommended

Hello! MMingüer, How did it go with the upgrade? I found your situation while surfing the Internet, I have the same computer and want to know if I can add RAM and a better video card, regards!

HP Recommended

Hello!

It seems like the question is still there after a million years!

Yes, I was able to get more RAM (4x4GB modules) and a Graphics card (which died after a month) and the PSU.

Computer is still alive!

HP Pavilion P6540la
HP Recommended

Hi!

I would loke to know what video card you currently use whit the computer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.