Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P7-1235
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'd like to upgrade from the integrated Graphics to some form of graphic card with more than the 512 MB.  Not looking to invest a lot in this, just push off replacing a while longer if possible.

What are my options?  I know it has a PCIex16 slot, and that the base power is 300W.  Basically the out of the box hardware.

If looking at graphic cards, what are the key things I must be looking for?  

Any advice/suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are limited to buying a used but tested and working graphics card because your PC has a legacy BIOS and none of the new cards on the market (even the cheap ones) will work.

You cannot buy a card newer than one of the nVidia GT 6xx models, or an AMD Radeon HD 6xxx model.

I would recommend a Nvidia GT 610 as a plug and play card, or an AMD Radeon HD 6450.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=gt+610&_sacat=175673&_sop=15

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l2632&_nkw=hd+6450&_sacat=175673&LH_...

I prefer the cards with no fans.   They are quiet and no fan to conk out on you.

You need to get a card with the standard PCI mounting bracket (it can be a low profile card), but not with the low profile mounting bracket.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will take a look at those links.  Not great news, but better than being stuck with no options.

1 follow-up question.  You mentioned this machine has a "Legacy BIOS, but the system information panel shows:  BIOS Mode: UEFI.   Is this a flaw with the System Info app or does the legacy BIOS just display in this manner?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome

It may have a UEFI BIOS, but I believe the BIOS revision is too old to run a newer card.

Check the BIOS revision your PC has.  There are no updates on the support page.

Unless the BIOS revision is 8.1x or newer, a new graphics card won't work.

Your PC' BIOS revision is probably 7.xx or older.

HP Recommended

Hello
curious that there is no update for this model ..
Or yet another product page inconsistency ..!?

HP Pavilion p7-1235 Desktop PC Product Specifications
This computer is equipped with this motherboard,

Motherboard Specifications, MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)

SSID: 2AE0

we find exactly the same model in another series

hp-pavilion-p7-1400-desktop-pc-series 

Motherboard Specifications, MSI MS-7778 (Jasmine)
And there we have update:

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AE0)

8.20 Rev.A

HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AE0) 

TITLE: HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 2AE0)

VERSION: 8.20 REV: A PASS: 1
DESCRIPTION:
This package provides an update to the HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS (ROM Family
SSID 2AE0) supported models running a supported operating system

HARDWARE PRODUCT MODEL(S):
HP Pavilion p6-XXXX Desktop
HP Pro 3515 Series MT PC
HP Pavilion p7-XXXX Desktop

transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous
releases.

NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous
versions cannot be reinstalled.

I'm not saying to try, you never know, but maybe ..

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

one thing u did not mention is what kind of hp pc do you have. there are small form factors and mid. small form requires small psu and graphic card called low profile. the mid form can fit almost any psu and graphic card.  buy a gpu that fits but also look at the specs before buying so you know what the gpu needs for a psu requirement.

HP Recommended

Hi, @fpresiado 

There is only one form factor type for that PC, and that is a standard tower that uses the standard profile PCI mounting brackets.

https://www.support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03359127

The power supply specs are listed and the two cards I recommended will work just fine with a 300W power supply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.