Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 870-244
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP community,

I would like to upgrade my PC its a pre built Omen 870-244 it has a GTX 1070, I7-7700, 500 watt PSU, looking to go to a 1080TI, I7-7700K and 600-650 PSU, can this be done? are there limitations, what are the pain points or processes I should follow? I have scoured the internet and cannot find videos on my exact model. any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@iskyinfinity

Click on Expansion Card Slot.

Others have removed the GTx 1070 and upgraded to the GTX 1070 ti

REO

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community @iskyinfinity

I have seen some confusion with an Obelisk model???

First look at these specs and verify it is your model???

OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-244 Product Specifications

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/15741069/document/c05380412

Make sure these videos are for your model???

OMEN by HP 870-200 - 2. Service Procedure Videos

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=13687063&MEID=BA760215-AE55-43D7-812F-BAFE32582183

REO

HP Recommended

Hello , so the 870-244 with spec is my exact pc tower and all!! I assume upgrade path is limited based on OEM mobo but wanted to inquire.

HP Recommended

as I look at video link you provided I maybe wrong but I did not see a GPU upgraed path , I did see the CPU replacement , but did not see the actual GPU process I assume since all the other parts were replaced that the GPU could be replaced.

HP Recommended

@iskyinfinity

Click on Expansion Card Slot.

Others have removed the GTx 1070 and upgraded to the GTX 1070 ti

REO

HP Recommended

Best upgrade is to replace the HDD with a SSD that uses the M.2 slot (I also have a SATA SSD installed for my media files -blue SATA cable). I installed 32GB of memory and it does not make much difference. The PSU upgrade will allow you some ability to "fix" the cable routing issues. You will need a *adapter for the optical drive  (see spec below).if you replace the PSU. You can see it below the coil of wire next to the PSU in the picture (below). I didn't feel a need to replace the mount on the graphics card. It seemed quite secure without it (think better air-flow).  You'll have to overclock the i7-7000K to see any advantages, and then you'll need to figure out how to cool it which would (most likely) require you to remove the motherboard to install a new cooler mount bracket from the underside. Additionally, that's a 4 pin CPU power connector versus 8 pin on this motherboard  Honestly, if you're going to spend that much money on components, you would probably be happier building a new PC versus upgrading this one. Get a bigger case with room to hide your cabling and a full size ATX MB. 

*SATA to SATA Adapter with Power - Slim SATA (F) to SATA (M) - Serial ATA to SATA

IMG_2974.jpg

HP Recommended

How did you get the power supply to fit with the on off switch on the back of it? 

HP Recommended

IMG_3003.jpg

HP Recommended

Your omen has an on/off switch in the back? Mine doesnt. 

HP Recommended

I ended up keeping the I-7700 and upgraded to RTX 2070 with 32 gig ram four 8 gig modules and a Samsung SSD and new PSU, I am reading your comments after the fact and your right I should have just bought a case and mobo my cabling solution is not nearly as eloquent as yours is in photo thanks for going in depth with me and I may actually bulid that future proof monster!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.