Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop - 795-0800no

Hey so I want to upgrade my SSD from my current one at 256GB. I'm looking for one that gives both more space but also more power if thats possible. I've looked up this one "Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 1TB", but then again I don't know if this is overkill, and if my PC can even handle the MB/s it provides. If someone has any tips as to which SSD to get or if the one I've found looks good, its very welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Wow, that is something you can get that drive for less than either--Especially the WD Blue.

It's only $70 for the 1 TB model in the USA.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb...

I would definitely opt for the Kingston Gen 4 drive if that costs less.

It should run at the max speed the slot will allow which is around 3,500 MBPS.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

A PCIe Gen 4 SSD is overkill because your PC's M.2 slot is only Gen 3 and will run no faster than 3,500 MBPS--the same as the  Samsung 980 or WD Blue SN570 Gen 3's.

Specs in your PC's motherboard's chipset.

Intel® H370 Chipset

HP Recommended

Gotchu! Thanks for getting back so fast! This might sound dumb hahah. I checked out the other two and realised they are actually priced higher than the gen 4 one at my store atm. Would it still perform at the same level as the other two if i went for it, or is it still advisable to pay a tiny bit more to have the gen 3 ones? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Wow, that is something you can get that drive for less than either--Especially the WD Blue.

It's only $70 for the 1 TB model in the USA.

Amazon.com: Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SN570 NVMe Internal Solid State Drive SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb...

I would definitely opt for the Kingston Gen 4 drive if that costs less.

It should run at the max speed the slot will allow which is around 3,500 MBPS.

HP Recommended

Allright awesome! Thanks so much for all the help! 

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.