Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible MiniTower
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got an old Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible MiniTower and I want to enhance it a bit.

I want to put in a graphics card but I cant for the life of me find info on the Expansionslots available for this computer so I dont know what type of card I can get.

Also Would anyone know what the Power Supply is rated at?

And finally can I just plug a new HD into it and instal Win 10 or are their tricks like in the old days to get it to work?

Thanks Much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@neoncoyote , welcome to the forum.

@neoncoyote wrote:

I just got an old Compaq Elite 8300 Convertible MiniTower and I want to enhance it a bit.

I want to put in a graphics card but I cant for the life of me find info on the Expansionslots available for this computer so I dont know what type of card I can get.  Here is the "Illustrated Parts and Service Map" for the computer.  It has all of the information that you want; Expansion slots; 320W power supply unit (PSU) and a list of compatible video cards.  The best way to install a new hard drive is, leave the old hard drive in place and connect the new drive to another port on the motherboard.  Use a cloning software of your choice to cloan the old drive to the new drive.

And finally can I just plug a new HD into it and instal Win 10 or are their tricks like in the old days to get it to work?

Thanks Much!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@neoncoyote , welcome to the forum.

@neoncoyote wrote:

I want to put in a graphics card but I cant for the life of me find info on the Expansionslots available for this computer so I dont know what type of card I can get.  Here is the "Illustrated Parts and Service Map" for the computer.  It has all of the information that you want; Expansion slots; 320W power supply unit (PSU) and a list of compatible video cards.  The best way to install a new hard drive is, leave the old hard drive in place and connect the new drive to another port on the motherboard.  Use a cloning software of your choice to cloan the old drive to the new drive.

Thanks Much!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank You So Much!!!! You Rock!

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @neoncoyote!  Glad to help.

HP Recommended

I hate to bug ya but apparently I boneheaded.

I bought a XFX trade on r7 240 4 gig graphics card to put in it. When buying it from Bestbuy they made no mention of a powersupply requirement.  Apparently a 400w supply is recommended.  To make matters worse the powersupply has fixed cables with no spares to even connect to any powersupply. 😞

So my question is if I have another powersupply sitting around.  I'm just guessing here but if I plugged that into the wall outside of the case and ran a power connector into the graphics card in the computer it wouldn't work for some reason right?  Or could the solution really be that easy.  I dont have much in the way of money but I'm hoping to make this decent enough for playing a few older MMOs  at low graphics   any advice?

HP Recommended

@neoncoyote, you definitely aren't bugging me! :Wink:  About the boneheaded, this is not accurate either.  BestBuy associates should ask more questions, but they make the mistake of believing that every customer knows what they know.  The truth be known, the salesperson most likely didn't realize that the video card requires 450W according to this ad at BestBuy.  Look at the "Specifications" tab in the ad.  If you can return the card, I would advice it.  What you are proposing won't work and the PSU has a proprietary main power connector which makes it almost impossible to upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I was doing a little research and I found a few folks have upgraded the 8300 with a standard powersupply and a 3rd party cable that converts the standard motherboard power to the HP flavor.  It looks like I might be able to do it all for about 60 bucks. 

AYA 12" (12 Inch) ATX Main 24-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E PSU Power Adapter Cable 18AWG for HP Z220/Z230, Elite 8000, 8100, 8200, 8300, HP 800 G1, HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AYA-12-12-Inch-ATX-Main-24-Pin-6-Pin-PCI-E-PSU-Power-Adapter-Cable-18AWG-H...

I'm just trying to make sure which size powersupply will fit and that there won't be any more complications lol.

I'm hoping I can get it sorted as the processor seems decent enough so I think if I can get this card running it will be decent low end gaming machine for me.  😉

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I was doing a little research and I found a few folks have upgraded the 8300 with a standard powersupply and a 3rd party cable that converts the standard motherboard power to the HP flavor.  It looks like I might be able to do it all for about 60 bucks. 

AYA 12" (12 Inch) ATX Main 24-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E PSU Power Adapter Cable 18AWG for HP Z220/Z230, Elite 8000, 8100, 8200, 8300, HP 800 G1, HP Compaq 6200 Pro MT

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AYA-12-12-Inch-ATX-Main-24-Pin-6-Pin-PCI-E-PSU-Power-Adapter-Cable-18AWG-H...

I'm just trying to make sure which size powersupply will fit and that there won't be any more complications lol.

I'm hoping I can get it sorted as the processor seems decent enough so I think if I can get this card running it will be decent low end gaming machine for me.  😉

AYA 12" (12 Inch) ATX Main 24-Pin to 6-Pin PCI-E PSU Power Adapter Cable 18AWG for HP Z220/Z230, Eli...

HP Recommended

@neoncoyote, it looks like you may have found a viable solution.  I always hesitate to recommend third party solutions because they don't always work as stated.  I am for saving a member money where possible.  Good luck!!

HP Recommended

Thanks! 🙂

Things tend not to work out as planned for me so I'm wondering how this will really turn out. Lol

Here is a link incase anyone else is interested.

8200 upgraded with standard power supply

I'll post back here if I am successful.  It will likely be a week or so before i get the parts.  (Crosses Fingers)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.