Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion TP01-0066
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to purchase a new PSU, knowing they are proprietary in newer HP machines, I assume I have to buy from here. I want to install a GTX 970, but lack the wattage to power it. And I want to have extra wattage for my future upgrades. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@DJFleischman -- is this your computer: HP Pavilion Desktop - TP01-0066 Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

It lists: 310 W Gold efficiency power supply

From: https://www.newegg.ca/msi-geforce-gtx-970-vdgtx970gm4g/p/N82E16814137044?Description=GTX%20970

it lists: 

System Requirements:
* Power consumption: 145W
Power Connector:
* 1 x 6-Pin + 1 x 8-Pin

Does your current power-supply have both those connectors?

the processor only consumes 65 Watts.

So, your current power-supply  (310 Watts) should be enough to give 145 Watts to the video-card, and 75 Watts for the processor, leaving  100 Watts for everything else (CD/DVD, SSD, fans, USB ports).

You should replace any "spinning" disk-drive by an SSD, which consumes only a few watts, and gives much faster performance than any "spinning" disk-drive.

So, what upgrades are you contemplating adding that could consume those 100 Watts?  Probably, nothing. Correct?

HP Recommended

Iirc i said i want to add in a gtx 970 which reccomends 400 watts at least. I need an upgrade

HP Recommended

@DJFleischman -- your current power-supply produces 310 watts. The specifications for the 970 report that it needs 145 watts. So, you have 165 watts available for "everything else" inside your computer.

Most processors require 65 to 100 watts. That leaves 65 watts for your fans, your CD/DVD drive, your disk-drive, your USB ports, and your motherboard.  That should be sufficient.   What other components do you have that might consume any wattage?

Give it a try, before spending any money on upgrading the power-supply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.