Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p094
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am looking to upgrade my computer for more graphically intensive tasks, but am not sure of what I want will fit. For graphics cards, something in the general range of the Nvidia GTX 150 Ti would be nice. I am sure that I will need a power supply that can handle all of this, but I want to know what will fit in my case. The processor can't be upgraded to Ryzen, from what it says on the HP website. Ram and SSD choices have already been made, so that isn't what I'm looking for, I want to know if a single slot model graphics card and smaller power supply will be needed. I am NOT looking to getting a new case/motherboard/or PC. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

From https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05408562 it appears your motherboard uses a standard 24-pin atx connector along with a 4-pin cpu power connector. If you are in the USA and haven't ordered a power supply yet you can currently get an EVGA 500 GD 100-GD-0500-V1 power supply for $54.99 - $20 rebate + $7.99 shipping. It is more efficient (gold rated vs. 80 plus) and has a longer warranty (5-year vs. 3-year) compared to the EVGA unit you linked from Amazon.

If you use your optical drive it appears it is  thin, laptop style. These often have a smaller power connector that won't work with a standard SATA power connector that would come with your new power supply. There is an adapter available, generically called  6-pin slimline SATA 15-pin SATA power cable. If you don't use your optical drive then you won't need the special adapter. Just don't hook it up.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@PookiePookiens , welcome to the forum.

Here is a video card that should work in your case.  I suggest that you look at the specifications to get the measurements.  Then, you should measure the space where the card will be mounted from the Back I/O ports to the front of the case.  This will tell you if it will fit with space for good airflow.  The good airflow is important with larger cards in small cases.  Measure the space for width, also.  I suggest that you buy a power supply unit (PSU) that has at least 500W.  A fully modular PSU would be good in your small case.  I like Corsair products.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

After digging around Amazon (and finding the dimensions of the current power supply), I have concluded my search with these parts. Have a look yourself:

Amazon.com: Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NA...

Amazon.com: ZOTAC Gaming GeForce GTX 1650 OC 4GB GDDR5 128-Bit Gaming Graphics Card, Super Compact, ...

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM CT10422404 | Pavilion 570-p094ng | Crucial.com

Amazon.com: EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR, Black: Comput...

Only an ITX GPU would fit after looking inside my PC. A lot of things would block a full size GPU of fitting, incl. dvd, various cables, etc. The 1650 was the cheapest (and most abundant) GPU, so that's why I chose that over the 1050. Atx power supply would fit, and the motherboard doesn't seem to use proprietary connectors, so that's what I chose for the pwr supply. SSD and ram upgrades were HEAVILY needed, b/c hard drives are slow and AMD processors eat up memory. If you have any suggestions, I am open to hear, but I think it is pretty solid.

Thanks for welcoming me, and giving your suggestion, Old_geekster.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @PookiePookiens!  Thank you for the additional information.

All of the components in your links appear to be fine.  The only question I have is on the SSD.  I can't find anything in HP's specs that show the NVMe will work.  I suggest that you contact Samsung's Tech Support for help.  I don't want to give you incorrect information.

HP Recommended

@Old_geekster, Willow2 motherboard specs show a m.2 drive slot, and the compatible drives for that are nvme drives, am I correct? Amazon's "will it fit?" tool showed the drive to work inside my PC. I also took some pictures of the inside of my PC (more specifically the PCI-E slot, and the obstructions that wouldn't allow me to put in a big GPU.

{EDIT: Do I need to get a HP power supply or would any off the shelf one work too?}

Have a look:

PCI-E SlotPCI-E Slot  ObstructionsObstructions

Thanks for your response,

@PookiePookiens

HP Recommended

I believe that you are correct.  I haven't actually heard that the HP motherboards won't be compatible with NVMe M.2 SSD's.

HP Recommended

@PookiePookiens, I am sorry that I didn't see your Edit sooner.

It appears the any standard ATX PSU will work in your case.  However, I suggest that you measure the space where the one that you choose will be installed to assure it one will fit.

HP Recommended

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but to answer your response, I have taken the dimensions of the current power supply and compared it with an ATX power supply. Guess what, it seems like it would fit. But I am not sure if there is some proprietary CPU connector (from what I heard from other upgrade threads), and the Willow2 motherboard picture is pretty blurry, so I can't tell if it is proprietary. I'll look in my PC and respond as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

From https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05408562 it appears your motherboard uses a standard 24-pin atx connector along with a 4-pin cpu power connector. If you are in the USA and haven't ordered a power supply yet you can currently get an EVGA 500 GD 100-GD-0500-V1 power supply for $54.99 - $20 rebate + $7.99 shipping. It is more efficient (gold rated vs. 80 plus) and has a longer warranty (5-year vs. 3-year) compared to the EVGA unit you linked from Amazon.

If you use your optical drive it appears it is  thin, laptop style. These often have a smaller power connector that won't work with a standard SATA power connector that would come with your new power supply. There is an adapter available, generically called  6-pin slimline SATA 15-pin SATA power cable. If you don't use your optical drive then you won't need the special adapter. Just don't hook it up.

HP Recommended

Welcome back, @PookiePookiens!

I am glad that the standard ATX will fit.  As @randomname1 stated there should be no problems with making all of the connections.

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.