Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP pavilion G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is an HP g7 notebook PC about 7 years old, virus free and working perfectly but has heating issues and shuts down because the HP CoolSense sensor detects the computer from damage if it gets too hot. After is shuts down and cools off a bit it boots back up without issues and works perfectly, but I would like to get to the bottom of what is causing this.

I have always kept the computer free of all dust and debris from inside the computer. CPU fan and all other fans, motherboard etc., are perfectly clean and working properly. What would be the most likely component(s) that cause heat? My computer has onboard graphics only, no card GPU. The computer has just one hard drive and it is an SSD so that should not be producing (much if any) heat. There is no restricted air flow around and under the case vents and room temperature is 75 degrees.

Any thoughts on what else might be causing heating issues?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, that should work.  If the thermal paste is dried out, it might take some work to get it all off before applying the new.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

On a laptop (notebook) the most notable heat source would be the CPU.  If you have already made sure it is dust/dirt free then probably the next thing would be to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and cooler.  For a 7 year old laptop, that is the most probable cause of the unit shutting down due to heat.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

What would you recommend I use to clean off the old thermal paste before applying the new paste?

BTW, thanks for your reply!

HP Recommended

Yes most definitely.  Clean the CPU surface and the heat sink surface and carefully apply new paste.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yes, but can you suggest a product to remove the old paste? Would 99% Alcohol and a microfiber cloth work to clean it?

HP Recommended

Yes, that should work.  If the thermal paste is dried out, it might take some work to get it all off before applying the new.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your help !

HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Hope that gets the problem solved

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.