cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
ogeeskeemask
Level 3
53 10 0 2
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

What is the correct cable?

HP Recommended
Elitedesk 705 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Yo! I'm attempting to install an SSD on my Elitedesk 705 G1 SFF as a secondary drive but I don't think that I have the correct cable. The correct way to install an SSD as a secondary drive is here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/949921/Hp-Elitedesk-705-G1.html?page=44#manual . The power cable is split and can go to the HDD, the SSD and the motherboard's power port but the data cable has no splitter and cannot be connected to both drives so the they can be plugged into the correct SATA port. BTW the SSD standalone gives back the boot error 'Non-system disk or disk failure...'. Should I install Windows to it before attempting to use it? Any recommendations?

*Update* I have now installed Windows to the SSD but unless I switch the data cable to a specific drive the other won't display. How do I display these simultaneously?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Prométhée
Level 16
9,669 9,527 978 3,404
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not sure I understand what you are saying
but if you have two drives, either hdd or ssd, you need to connect the system drive (windows) to sata port 0 normally with its sata data cable
And connect the second, to another sata port, with its own sata cable, so if you don't have one, you have to buy one
see the documents:

Hardware Reference Guide

HP EliteDesk 705 G1 Small Form Factor HP EliteDesk 705 G1 Desktop Mini - Maintenance and Service Gui...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitedesk-705-g1-small-form-factor-pc/6893874/product-info

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button 
Desktop-Knowledge-Base

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
2 REPLIES 2
Prométhée
Level 16
9,669 9,527 978 3,404
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not sure I understand what you are saying
but if you have two drives, either hdd or ssd, you need to connect the system drive (windows) to sata port 0 normally with its sata data cable
And connect the second, to another sata port, with its own sata cable, so if you don't have one, you have to buy one
see the documents:

Hardware Reference Guide

HP EliteDesk 705 G1 Small Form Factor HP EliteDesk 705 G1 Desktop Mini - Maintenance and Service Gui...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-elitedesk-705-g1-small-form-factor-pc/6893874/product-info

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

was this reply helpful , or just say "thank you " ? Click on the yes button 
Desktop-Knowledge-Base

ogeeskeemask
Author
Level 3
53 10 0 2
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I totally agree. I continued to dig and came to the conclusion that in order for the secondary drive to display it would need to be plugged into the data port on the motherboard, so I went and obtained the correct SATA cable and it is now connected. Thanks!

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation