Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 795-040
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day all!

I’m thinking about upgrading my Power Supply Unit with Corsair hx750i and have a couple of questions:

1. Will it fit in my Envy 795-040 tower?

2. What is this 7 pin connector on the right (it says 12v_ID, atx1 and only 6 wires are used) and can i get an adapter for it?F900E746-9FEB-468A-B8A5-BED236967858.jpeg

thank you very much in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

you have a custom designed power supply/motherboard that does not conform to the ATX standard, as such you will not be able to use a  ATX based supply

however since the default standard supply on this model is a 500 watt unit that can actually output 500 watts,

and is rated to handle a nvidia 2080 video card i really don't see the need to worry about upgrading the supply

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c06026207

this next part is just a guess,..... so treat it as such

the motherboard connector,you show in the picture  appears to be a voltage sensor/feedback point where the power supply and motherboard check/monitor the voltages/current draw of each other and possibly tell the motherboard what capacity supply in wattage is connected to it.  i also don't know if the pwr supply 24 pinout is ATX standard or a custom HP one

HP Recommended

Thank you very much DGroves for such a quick and descriptive answer 🙂  - In fact i’m getting Nvidia Rtx 2070 and its recommmended power is 550w. The current psu is 400w so i guess i should ask HP to upgrade / replace it with 500w? (I don’t believe they have 600w for this 795-040 model) will it be okay if it’s 50w lower?

or should i pursue HP to provide me info about this proprietary connector so i can get an adaptor or if not - potentialy cut the cable and reattach wires to the suitable ones in Corsair?

HP Recommended

@DGroves

The Berks motherboard in the member's  Envy 795-0509ng desktop does indeed conform to the ATX standard and is published as being such by HP.  The downside is that it does not use an ATX PSU.

See the HP reference document at the following link. https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c06008802

A number of owners have tried to upgrade the PSU of PCs with the Berks motherboard.

Every thread I have seen where someone was attempting the upgrade has ended in failure.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

as i previously stated hp does make a model with a 500 watt supply which does come with the nvidia 2080 card as a standard option that uses the same power supply connections as your current one has. i don't have the 500 watt supplies number but search previous posts on this forum and you will find several previous posts on this subject that has the nessary information

i do know that it's the HP envy 795-0040xt model that has the  310/400/500 watt supply options that is compatable with the Berks  motherboards

https://support.hp.com/ph-en/document/c06102555

no, i don't think you can properly operate the motherboard without that small 7 wire connector, my best guess is that if it's missing the board will either not operate or not be stable

Update: i forgot to add  that unlike nvidia who must be consertive in power requirements as they do not know the exact system configurations they must therefor  specify a higher wattage 

in this case HP makes the system, and knows what each part draws (including filling the pci-e slots) as such their  500 watt requirement for the non "TI" 2080 video card is aceptable for this specific configuration

HP Recommended

You are right DGroves and probably this what i will end up with (looking on power consumption charts rtx 2070 should be alright with 500w). At this point i spent an hour with a first level of support (i still have a warranty on the PC) trying to

locate any possible adapter but with no luck. Then they referred me to some parts orderig HP email that can dig a bit deeper. Let’s see how it goes 🙂

thank you for your help and guidance again! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.