Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion desktop 590-p0044 AMD radeon Vega 11
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I'm new at all this and wishing to upgrade my PC and do a little more intensive gaming on it. My question is, what are the recommended products from a budget standpoint that will fit in my PC? I have one PCIE x 16 slot that has nothing in it (computer came this way). If I purchase a gpu, I'm aware I will also need a psu. Is it worth it to buy these things for this computer to run modern games or is this computer unable to do so? This is the setup:

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G

DD4 12GB Dual frequency 1,330.6 Mhz

AMD 15DD graphics

If I need to provide more information, I would be happy to. Thank you for your help!

- Christian 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Cborrero,

I am not aware of any retail power supplies which will connect to your HP proprietary motherboard. The HP motherboard does not use a standard ATX 24 pin PSU connection.

The RX 580 requires a minimum 500 watt power supply.

This graphics card is a no go in your situation.

You are limited to a HP 400 watt power supply unless some other PSU vendor is selling compatible power supplies at 500 watts or higher.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I don't know the original purchase price of this PC.

But you could spend up to $500.00 to upgrade three components to play AAA games at acceptable frame rates using 1080p or above.

I don't know if it is cost effective to do this.

What games do you want to play? What frame rates and resolution do you want to use?

A 400 watt maximum power supply upgrade (part number L04618-800) would have to come from HP because your PSU and motherboard have proprietary connections. HP Part Surfer (Link) has this power supply.

The 400 watt power supply limits graphics card upgrade options. A Nvidia 1050 TI or a Nvidia 1650.

A processor upgrade may not be necessary but you can go to a Ryzen7-2700.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I would want to have a 1080p resolution and acceptable frame rates 50-60 fps. I primarily play RPG's with Outerworlds and Baulders Gate 3 being what I wish to play when they are released. Is there no way to get an aftermarket psu and bypass having to be HP brand?

I was going to purchase this as the gpu:  XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 1386MHz OC+, 8GB GDDR5, VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-580P8DFD6)

HP Recommended

Hi Cborrero,

I am not aware of any retail power supplies which will connect to your HP proprietary motherboard. The HP motherboard does not use a standard ATX 24 pin PSU connection.

The RX 580 requires a minimum 500 watt power supply.

This graphics card is a no go in your situation.

You are limited to a HP 400 watt power supply unless some other PSU vendor is selling compatible power supplies at 500 watts or higher.

Regards

HP Recommended

@Cborrero,

Can you hold on another week?  There might be proof of a 500W unit that is plug and play.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.