Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP All-in-One PC 24-dp0000wa (7TT85AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Does anyone else have this model and do you also have a constant background humming  coming from the Fan?

It seems to be turning at a constant speed. Does fluctuate

However its a noticeable sound, and I was expecting the unit to be silent, not so noisy

Ive run a fan speed test and it passed the 100%/stress test

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ButcherHQ -- welcome to this peer-to-peer discussion forum, where volunteers try to help.

Given that you indicate that your PC is "new", it probably is busy running Windows Update, to download & install the latest security-updates from Microsoft.  That "work" will cause the CPU to be "busy", and to generate heat as it works. Then, your motherboard reacts to the "extra" heat, and speeds-up the fan, to try to cool the system.  More speed probably means more noise, as you have observed.

After Windows Update has completed, it will tell you to restart your computer.

Do it, and see if your computer's fan gets quieter, after about 30 minutes.

I think that it will.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the fast reply

All windows updates done/forced. Its been up and running for a few weeks and I have applied all HP and windows updates

its just humming at  alow level. doesnt speed up or slow down so its working in background. but noticeably louder than my old windows 7 Dell PC all in one bought 8 or 9 years ago

i was expecting rightly or wrongly for this newer unit to run silent

HP Recommended

@ButcherHQ -- does your computer have a "case-fan" (inside the back of the case) that always spins at the same speed, i.e., not speed-controlled by your motherboard, as it reacts to the temperatures inside the case?  Or, a noisy fan inside the power-supply?

HP Recommended

Its an all in one unit so its in the single unit. It will speed up and whirl if I download something or use more CPU/processing

It will react to temprature rises in the case

The best way to describe the noise (which does sound nerdy) is the starship enterprise when you get the ships background humming. Its low, and constant, but its noticeable

I doenloaded HP's latest diagnostic tool and I run a fan tempreature test. 100% pass

HP Recommended

Did my last description make sense?

HP Recommended

@ButcherHQ -- Did my last description make sense?

Yes.  All I can suggest is to take it to a local owner/operator computer store, and pay for 20 to 30 minutes of professional help.

HP Recommended

I have a 3 year guarnatee so will speak to HP direct

cheers for the pointers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.