Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-0000a (6GY67AV)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

im wondering if this motherboard https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06418627 will work with this ssd 

MZVLB256HBHQ-000L7 Samsung PM981a Series 256GB TLC PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the M.2 NVMe slot is currently empty, the drive will work, but since the slot is PCIe Gen 3.0 x 2, the Samsung drive will run at approximately 1/2 of its maximum advertised read/write speeds. 

That would still be faster than a M.2 SATA SSD. 

I would buy the fastest Gen 3.0 SSD you can so you get the maximum speed from it, such as Samsung 980 or Crucial P3.

I don't know what the specs are for the 981.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

It should.

This model from HP that has the same Erica motherboard as your PC, came with a 1 TB NVMe SSD from the factory.

HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0009ng Product Specifications | HP® Support

HP Recommended

this iis all the expansion slots 

• One PCIe x16 socket
  • One PCIe x1 socket
  • One M.2 socket 1, key A
  • One M.2 socket 3, key M for SSD (PCIe x2)and when i opened it i saw that it had a m.2 socket but im not sure if it will go with that ssd
HP Recommended

If the M.2 NVMe slot is currently empty, the drive will work, but since the slot is PCIe Gen 3.0 x 2, the Samsung drive will run at approximately 1/2 of its maximum advertised read/write speeds. 

That would still be faster than a M.2 SATA SSD. 

I would buy the fastest Gen 3.0 SSD you can so you get the maximum speed from it, such as Samsung 980 or Crucial P3.

I don't know what the specs are for the 981.

HP Recommended

the one i was looking at was a 3.0 x 4 does that mean it will not fit? and it says that speed is to 3,500 MB/s and 3,000 MB/s

HP Recommended

3,500 Read/3,000 write is about as good as you can get, so you are fine there.

That means the SSD should run at about 1,750 Read and 1,500 write from the 3 x 2 slot.

The M.2 SSD slot your PC has supports the M.2 2280 SSD form factor.

What I am writing is that the motherboard expansion slot info you posted assumes you are looking at a bare motherboard with nothing installed.

For example, if your PC already has a graphics card installed, the PCIe x16 slot is filled.

If it already has a M.2 NVMe SSD, the M.2 SSD slot is filled.  There is no second NVMe SSD slot.

If it has a Wi-Fi adapter installed, the M.2 Wi-Fi slot is filled.

HP Recommended

my motherboard only has a hdd no ssd. so i think the slot is open. but is 1,750 Read and 1,500 write slow? because i useally play fortnite and the loading time is very slow

HP Recommended

You should be fine then.

If you post the product number for your PC which you can find by running the Windows system information app, the product number of your PC will be listed on the System SKU line, I will see if there is a specs list for your PC, so you know for sure what it has or doesn't have.

Because according to the product number you posted, the PC comes with a 512 GB NVMe SSD, but there is a different product number (2E9U0EA) listed in the actual specs sheet:

HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop PC TG01-0000a (6GY67AV) Product Specifications | HP® Support

HP Recommended

product number: 7NB67EA#UUW

i posted the wrong product i think

HP Recommended

Here's your PC's exact model number and specifications:

HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-0000no Product Specifications | HP® Support

The M.2 slot should definitely be empty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.