Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z4 G4 Xeon 2123
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a lightning storm my computer will not start. When i press the start button the blue led is on. Only while i hold the power button in.  Goes off when released.  No fan nothing.  Any suggestions ??

I have surge protection and UPS on power supply and they are fine.

Thanks

George

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@subseageorge , welcome back to the forum.

The first component that I suspect when this happens is the power supply unit (PSU).  It is the only source of power for the computer.  If the slightest surge in power got to it, it can fail.  If it is working properly, then, test the processor and memory.  Next, check all of the capacitors to assure none of them are bulging.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Whilst checking some simple things, I found that the PSU starts and the fan runs when it is disconnected from the mother board. 

But when plugged in there is nothing. 

Does that point you in any specific direction ?

Thanks 

George 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @subseageorge!

There is still a possibility that the PSU has failed.  It may run when disconnected, but not have enough power to run the computer.  You should either test it or have it tested with the proper testing equipment to make certain.  Also, you should check the capacitors on the motherboard to see if any of them are bulging.  Here is an example:

Bulging-top.jpg

Testing the memory and processor would be your next steps.

HP Recommended

Thanks mate, i will try that , 

HP Recommended

I would appreciate hearing the outcome.

HP Recommended

I have had a look at the Capasitor caps and none looked bulged.  I have a spare PSU but,,  it does not have a 20 pin connector like my HP. Is there any way i can test the PSU with a multi meter ?  

And of course i will let you know the outcome 

Cheers 

HP Recommended

@subseageorge,

You can plug the ATX20 PSU into ATX24 motherboardATX 20 into ATX 24.JPG

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

I do not have a spare motherboard to try it on, 

Would you by any chance have a map of the pins on the PSU connector with expected results if i use a muiti meter ?

Thanks 

HP Recommended

Here is how it states to test the PSU in the Maintenance and Service Guide for the workstation:

To test the power supply:

1.Remove the power supply from the computer.

2.Connect the power cord to the wall outlet.

3.Connect power cord to the power supply.

4.If the power supply fans turn on and the built-in self-test (BIST) light illuminates, the power supply is good and the power supply does not need to be replaced.

Here is the Maintenance and Service Guide:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06134496

I searched the Internet and HP website for the pin map for the PSU and couldn't find anything.  I believe that it will be standard, but can't be certain.  I believe you may find the specifications on the PSU itself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.