Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 6005 pro microtower
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello, i have an HP Compaq 6005 Pro Microtower with:
Amd Phenom 2 x4 B97 running at 3.2 ghz

RX550 asus 2gb edition

6gb DDR3 ram 1333mh/9cl
320w PSU

The mobo is hp 3047h running on legacy bios https://support.hp.com/id-en/document/c02915841

My question is, will THIS graphics card work when put in to the PCIE slot? https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1050OC-2GL ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RidleyRoidwrote:

Why does the RX550 work with my motherboard than? 🙂

This is a good question.  The only answer that I can come up with is, the VBIOS in the RX550 must be compatible with a Legacy BIOS.  Some manufacturers make their VBIOS's so they will work with Legacy BIOS.  I suggest contacting Gigabyte's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.  It is so difficult to know which new components will work with older computers.  The technology is so different.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@RidleyRoid, welcome to the forum.

No, the GTX 1050 requires UEFI in the motherboard instead of a Legacy/standard BIOS.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last video cards not to require UEFI were the GTX 660/670 series.

Your best option would be to choose a manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  This will save you time and money.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@RidleyRoidwrote:

This is a good question.  The only answer that I can come up with is, the VBIOS in the RX550 must be compatible with a Legacy BIOS.  Some manufacturers make their VBIOS's so they will work with Legacy BIOS.  I suggest contacting Gigabyte's Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products.  It is so difficult to know which new components will work with older computers.  The technology is so different.

HP Recommended
I just ran a GTX 1060 6gb on my HP Compaq 8100 Elite. I’m not sure if it has the said EUFI but it did work just fine I think the desktop is from like 2010 or 2011. Like I said not a guarantee but if the RX worked I guess it’s worth a shot. Just be sure to run some tests with temps and all to make sure its all functioning okay
HP Recommended

Hi,

"work" ??  Does this mean that the PC boots up normally without doing any tricks?

Does this mean that the orignal HP BIOS is unmodified?

Does this mean that the default VBIOS in the graphics card has been modified?

Does this mean that the graphics card is actually installed the PCIe x16 slot?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Yes, did you not read my PC specs posted originally? 😛 ssf55.png

HP Recommended

@RidleyRoid

You must be talkin' to yourself.?????:smileysurprised: And, you have not been forthcoming with answering questions.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.