Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP prodesk 600 G1 SFF
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used HP prodesk 600 G1 Small form factor with core i5-4570, 8 gb (4gbx2) ram. It has a 240W PSU with windows 7. I use it as a home machine  and do some light gaming occasionally. I have been extensively reading all the threads related to GPU upgrade of HP SFF PC's and i see mixed results where it worked for some and it gave a blank screen for some (with no solution).  
I therefore wanted to ask whether I should go ahead an buy the GT 1030 for my system? Will it be compatible? 
I see the success rate for elite desk users is more than prodesk users with the GT 1030. Is there a reason for it because the compatible GPU's mentioned on HP specs are same for both the models?
12345.jpg

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@viraj03 , welcome to the forum.

Here is the Illustrated Parts and Service Map for the computer:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03812619

The cards in the Specifications have been fully tested to assure they are compatible with the motherboard.  While I realize that some people say that they get the GT 1030 to work, it is basically a crap-shoot as you mentioned.  I don't believe that the 240W PSU will have enough power to run the card.  The PSU in your system is proprietary.  This makes it difficult to upgrade.  I suggest that you choose a video card manufacturer and contact their Tech Support for help.  They are the experts on their products and should be able to help you pick a card that will work.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

thank you @Old_geekster for your reply. 
Yes, I did check the ones mentioned on HP product specification sheet however since the sheet is very old (so is the pc) those cards are no longer available. Hence I though the GT 710 and GT 1030 are closest to what specifications these cards had. 
As you mentioned, I will check with the card manufacturers support team to see whether they can confirm the compatibility. 

Thanks again.  

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @viraj03!  Glad to help.

HP Recommended

It worked. The GT 1030 with my prodesk 600 g1 SFF. had minor issues while installing drivers but its all sorted now. Thanks again for your help. 

Regards,
Viraj

HP Recommended

@viraj03, I am glad that you had success.  This tells you that the manufacturers do over-rate the power requirements of their cards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.