Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Omen 870-224 which currently is running the i5 7400. Im looking for a boost in performance. I've already installed a new SSD and have maxed out the RAM for this board. I am still working with the factory board which is the 82F1. My question is as follows - Will the i7 9700K work to its full potential on this current, factory board? If not, what are some replacement boards that are economical, yet not down-grade. 

Side note - I have seen where some of the higher end CPU's require a higher power supply. I have also seen that this board will only handle so much. I'm not sure what this CPU requires or what this board can handle. Just something to consider! 

Thanks a ton!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Eli20 , welcome to the forum.

No, the i7-9700K requires a 300 series motherboard.  It won't work at all in your board.  Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer.  Read the section titled "Processor/Processor upgrade information" for a list of compatible processors.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.