Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion a6744uk E2220
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I have a HP Pavilion A6744UK E2220, and it has 4GB RAM. I tried to install windows 10 from 7 and a long way in an error came up and said:

0xC1900101 - 0X20017
The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

It then reverts back to Windows 7

I tried to upgrade a second time and selected the remove all files option. Unfortunately the 0xC1900101 - 0X20017 error occurred again. It reset back to Windows 7 and none of the files were deleted. I have the right disk space and RAM, so all I can think of is I don't have a compatible graphics card, it says I need DirectX 9 and above.

In 2016 I installed Windows 10 on this PC and I don't remember any issues, but I stupidly reverted back to 7. I am wondering if anyone knows what the issue is and is it possible to solve it?

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have a way to reinstall W7 in case this doesn't work...the recovery manager program will not work...

Since you had previously installed W10 on the PC back in 2016, see if you can clean install it by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a bootable USB flash drive or save an ISO file which you can burn to a DVD.

If you choose to make a DVD, use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable.

During the installation process, if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 should install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since Microsoft should have a record of W10 having been previously installed on your PC.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you have a way to reinstall W7 in case this doesn't work...the recovery manager program will not work...

Since you had previously installed W10 on the PC back in 2016, see if you can clean install it by making bootable installation media using the media creation tool at the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can make a bootable USB flash drive or save an ISO file which you can burn to a DVD.

If you choose to make a DVD, use the Microsoft tool that I zipped up and attached below to transfer the ISO file to a DVD so that it is bootable.

During the installation process, if you are asked to enter a product key, select the 'I don't have a product key' option, and W10 should install and automatically activate once you are connected to the internet, since Microsoft should have a record of W10 having been previously installed on your PC.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply Paul. I've downloaded your link onto an external hard drive, and I will load it onto the PC tomorrow. I will then try and upgrade offline.

The only worry is I can't find my original Windows 7 installation disk. So if this doesn't work out, I can't go back to 7.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that is a risk.

You may be able to minimize it if you download & install the free Macrium Reflect image software from the link below.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree?x-ca=blog

The software will allow you to make a system image of your current installation.  Save it on a portable hard drive.

It will also have you make bootable rescue media...DVD or USB flash drive that you boot from to access the system image you saved.

Hopefully that would restore your PC to its current status if things don't work out.

HP Recommended

I've upgraded off the USB and it has installed. All appears to be well. I selected to remove all files, but for some reason they have all been saved in the C drive, including apps/programmes.

I'm not moaning though, as I now have windows 10 on the PC.

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.