Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6712f Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

Will this computer run Windows 10? If not, what has to be changed to run W10? (I have 6Meg of RAM & 2.5Ghz clock).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

bradeaton

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about upgrading from Vista to Win10 and wanted to help.

You're facing a number of serious problems in doing this ...

First, there is no upgrade path to Win10 from Vista. You would have to do a clean-install and then reinstall every one of your applications -- some of which might no longer work under Win10 because MS has disabled some of the legacy support that was in Win7 for older apps.

Second, there is no FREE upgrade to Win10 from Vista. MS only offers the free upgrade from Win7/8/8.1. You would have to buy a license.

Third, there's every likelyhood that some, if not most, of your hardware will not have Win10 drivers. The problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality. This is especially true with video drivers, in which unsupported chipsets are relegated to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver which limits screen resolution.

If you have an external drive, you could consider using a third-party utility like Macrium Reflect to image off your Vista install such that you could later restore it in only a few minutes if Win10 did not work.

But, you're probably going to have to enter a product-key to even do the upgrade, and so there is really no way for you to try out the upgrade for free.

Sorry, but I would advise against doing the Win10 upgrade.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

bradeaton

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I read your post about upgrading from Vista to Win10 and wanted to help.

You're facing a number of serious problems in doing this ...

First, there is no upgrade path to Win10 from Vista. You would have to do a clean-install and then reinstall every one of your applications -- some of which might no longer work under Win10 because MS has disabled some of the legacy support that was in Win7 for older apps.

Second, there is no FREE upgrade to Win10 from Vista. MS only offers the free upgrade from Win7/8/8.1. You would have to buy a license.

Third, there's every likelyhood that some, if not most, of your hardware will not have Win10 drivers. The problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality. This is especially true with video drivers, in which unsupported chipsets are relegated to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver which limits screen resolution.

If you have an external drive, you could consider using a third-party utility like Macrium Reflect to image off your Vista install such that you could later restore it in only a few minutes if Win10 did not work.

But, you're probably going to have to enter a product-key to even do the upgrade, and so there is really no way for you to try out the upgrade for free.

Sorry, but I would advise against doing the Win10 upgrade.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I currently have an HP w2207h Widescreen Flat-Panel Monitor that I'm using with my Vista system. Can this monitor be used with any of the present day Desktops? Will I need new drivers?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.