Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
260-p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was having occasional issues with the boot up of the HD so I thought I would upgrade to a Samsung SSD 870 QVO. I cloned it with Macrium software and it looks identical.

However if I install it the PC will not boot. It sits at the HP logo until I hit ESC to get into the BIOS. However I can hit esc 100 times and it will not allow me to access the BIOS. If I unplug the SSD no problem. If I hook up the HD no problem getting t the BIOS.

So I unplugged the SSD and HD entered the BIOS and selected the CD drive for boot up and installed my rescue **bleep**. Still no access to BIOS and no boot up.

This motherboard only has one connection for a SATA drive so I am waiting for a splitter cable to hook up both and see if cloning it will work then or if can boot to it.

Any ideas? I have never had a PC that won't let you into the BIOS with a drive attached. 

I cloned the SSD via a USB cable so maybe that's why I am not able to boot? I'll try again once I get the splitter cables. 

It's a 260-P026 desktop running Windows 10 Home edition 8 G Ram 

Comparing both drives in the Macrium software and in Windows Disk Management they look the same have the same amount of files and the same empty space both are 1 TB.

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try clean installing W10 on your new SSD, using the Media creation tool.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After W10 has (hopefully) completed installing, you can install the drivers and available software from your PC's support page.

HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p026 (ENERGY STAR) Software and Driver Downloads | HP® Customer Support

That way you can see if it was a cloning issue, or some other problem for which I am as stumped as you are.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have seen some HP PCs exhibit this issue when connecting a Samsung 2.5 inch SATA SSD. You may have to try a different SATA SSD brand name.

I don't think you can split data from one motherboard SATA data port to two SATA drives.

Also cloning using USB and Macrium software has worked for me, so I don't think that is the cause of your problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

I've tried installing windows 10 from an iso file on a USB thumb drive but it want s to install to drive C. If I remove drive C the HP will not boot to the SSD. The HP BIOS will see the Samsung Drive as a USB drive and I've disconnected the HD while in BIOS mode and connected the SSD to the SATA cable and power and rebooted still nothing. 

It doesn't seem to want to boot to the Macrium rescue disk I installed on a USB stick. 

So far this HP look like it ill be a great machine for target practice. I'll never buy another one after this. 

HP Recommended

Well the splitter cables will be here tomorrow and if they don't work I guess the SSD goes back and a Mac will get ordered. Thanks for some clues.

HP Recommended

I tried to install Windows from a USB stick ISO file but it wants to install to drive C not the USB SSD. I tried a rescue disk for Macrium on CD and selected CD to boot first this thing hangs up and won't boot to the CD either

I forgot to thank you for the suggestions in my last reply. I will keep trying but am about to give up

HP Recommended

Hi Detroit780,

You can try booting Medicat via USB (you'll need a 32GB USB stick) and clone your drive using True Image (I often choose version 2018). You'll have to disable temporarily Secure Boot to let Medicat boot and select your USB stick as the temporary boot device.

System and network administrator since 2004. Sometimes I help you, sometimes you help me. If my answer helped you, feel free to thumb up 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.