Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2220t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does someone know what the best CPU would be for the Cupertino3 Motherboard Upgrade? When you look at the HP website Processor Upgrade Information the numbers are not complete, such as Intel Core i5-3xxxT etc.. Currently running Pentium G640. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

HP uses i5-3xxx where the x is a variable. Any processor in the i5 series will work with a matching TDP.

The biggest performance jump would be to look at the i7 series processors as a replacement option.

Regards

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not an HP employee.

HP uses i5-3xxx where the x is a variable. Any processor in the i5 series will work with a matching TDP.

The biggest performance jump would be to look at the i7 series processors as a replacement option.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the clarification. I will be taking your advice and upgrading to i7. Really appreciate the information.

HP Recommended

Hi Micky6,

You're very welcome.

Get back to the forum if you have any problems.

Are you familiar with the procedure to safely remove and install a processor?

Bent processor socket pins or ESD will make for a bad and costly processor upgrade experience.

Regards

HP Recommended

Before Upgrading my CPU, how do I know if I have the latest BIOS Version?

HP Recommended

Hi Micky6,

Checked your PC's Software and driver download site (link).

There are no BIOS updates for W7 or W8. HP is not supporting W10 on your PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

My  PC originally came with Windows 7, of course it was automatically Upgraded to Windows 10. When you go to the HP support page, look up my p6-2220t, select motherboard specifications for the H-Cupertino3, they indicate that processor i7-3xxx will work. So if I upgrade to i7-3770 do you think I will encounter any problems?

HP Recommended

Hi Micky6,

I can't guarantee an i7-3770 or any other processor on the list HP provides will work. 

HP lists i7-3xxx processors as a valid upgrade path. So it should work.

HP is not supporting your PC anymore. You would be stuck with the cost of the processor if it does not work.

Your PC was manufactured in 2012. Your PC is approaching the end of it's useful life. Components are going to fail at some point in the future.

You have to weigh the cost of the i7-3770 against the above upgrade compatibility risk and the remaining useful life of your PC.

I would probably not do this unless I could get this processor at a really good price and/or I could return the CPU to the seller for a refund.

It may be better to save your money so you can purchase a new HP PC.

Regards

HP Recommended

Sounds like some good advice. Thanks Again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.