Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
XW4600
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello Community.

I need some advices if is possible because my XW4600 Desktop doesn't want to boot up after an Ram upgrade.

Before was inside  4 x 2GB 2R8 PC2-6400E-666 (Elpida) and I've bought

4 x 4GB DDR2-800 ECC Memory (VH933AA) MS4096HP562.

On HP site is specified ''

• HP 16GB (4x4GB) DDR2-800 ECC RAM
NOTE: 
Only unbuffered DDR2 DIMMs are supported. All DIMMs must be either x8 or x16 width.'
The memory that I've bought are  MS4096HP562 HP 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHz ECC Unbuffered CL6 240-Pin DIMM Dual Rank Memory Module

Ram sticks are pretested, no issues but also my desktop was working fine with 4 x 2GB 2R8 PC2-6400E-666.

I have the latest bios update (1.34), I did also an bios reset, I did tested each memory slot

with only one memory dimm and no joy till now.

Sytem is starting but there's no boot, the mainboard beeps 5 times, this is an memory issue but what I've bought is theoretically compatible with my Desktop.

If someone got any ideeas please post it, maybe I will solve my issue.

Is there any jumper on the motherboard that I have to move it in an other position?

Thank you anyway for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No clues here.

Then I suppose I return the Ram that I've ordered and cut my losses.

Please, still waiting for an answer.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Bump.

HP Recommended

And another bump.

HP Recommended

Hello... anybody here?

Anyone?

HP Recommended

No clues here.

Then I suppose I return the Ram that I've ordered and cut my losses.

Please, still waiting for an answer.

HP Recommended

And another bump.

HP Recommended

So I did found another topic about this issue and there is stated a year ago:

''MAXIMUM MEMORY
Supports up to 8 GB DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 ECC unbuffered memory''

but on HP site is also stated:

''

• HP 16GB (4x4GB) DDR2-800 ECC RAM
NOTE: 
Only unbuffered DDR2 DIMMs are supported. All DIMMs must be either x8 or x16 width.''

So I suppose that HP did an bios update for this model to support 16 GB maximum amount of memory but somehow this is not the reality.

How can I solve my issue?

I've spent 300€ for nothing?

HP Recommended

the xw4600 is quite picky regarding ram, however your ram should work as it meets all specs

i would clean the ram modules with 90% alcohol, and reinsert using just one module inserted into the CORRECT SOCKET

There are four DIMM sockets on the system board, with two sockets per channel. The sockets are labeled DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM3, and DIMM4.

If installing only one DIMM, install it in socket DIMM1.

Install the first DIMM pair in sockets DIMM1 and DIMM3.
Install the second DIMM pair in sockets DIMM2 and DIMM4

Sockets DIMM1 and DIMM3 operate in memory channel 1
Sockets DIMM2 and DIMM4 operate in memory channel 2

If multiple DIMMs are installed in a workstation, they must be installed in pairs of the same size and type in each channel.

you can also modify the bios and inject  xeon microcodes, this modified bios then allows you to install selected xeon cpu's with the fastest xeon cpu being the x3363 which have more cache and run cooler, if interested "PM" me for details if you search ebay, you can find x3363 cpu's that have been modded with the correct notches added so the cpu is a drop in replacement without having to modify the cpu socket i've gone this route with my xw4600 system

and one last thing all of your reply right now "BUMPS" posts is why refused to answer please be polite and post and then wait

if someone can reply they will, multiple bumps accomplish nothing

HP Recommended

A-Tech modules are rigorously tested to ensure that your memory meets our stringent compatibility and performance standards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.