Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Z210 CMT workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I am a bit of a noob when it comes to PC hardware. I would like to upgrade the graphics card on my Z210 workstation to a MSI GTX 1050 TI. I am using 64 bit windows 10.

I know that the card slot in the workstation can handle the power requirements for the card and the dimensions but I am just curious if there could be any other problems if i drop the new card into the appropriate slot? Should it be a relatively simple plug and play operation? Can i run into problems with compatibility because it's an old machine? Any help or opinions are really appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Danielurl,

As your unit is circa 2011, I do suspect a BIOS boot. Run this program to determine the boot environment.

If is BIOS, the GTX1050ti will not run, as it is a UEFI card.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Danielurl 

According to the Z210 service manual at the link below, your PC's model series has a UEFI BIOS.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02787107.pdf

However that does not necessarily mean that card will work.

I came across an interesting related situation a while back.

I have a HP 8200 Elite CMT business desktop PC also with a UEFI BIOS and an i7-2600 processor,  and I installed a Nvidia GT 1030 in mine, and it works great.

However, if you look at this discussion, this person tried to install a GT 1060, and it wouldn't work.

Why that would be, I have no idea.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-8200-Elite-8200-CMT-GPU-Upgr...

HP Recommended

my boot environment is EFI so my understanding is that it is the same UEFI. So the GTX 1050 ti gpu should be ok then yea? or at least it should be able to communicate with my comp.

HP Recommended

You are correct. EFI is the same as UEFI.

But as I posted yesterday, in theory the GTX 1050 ti should work, but in the instance above on a HP business class PC with similar hardware, the GTX 1060 didn't and I don't know why.

So, all you can do is give it a try and see what happens.

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for the help!

I decided to buy a gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4GB. It was the best GPU i could find that will work the PSU of the Z210 and seemingly should be supported and work fine with the i7 2600. Lets hope i didnt make a mistake haha. I will post if it works fine. Should be in a week or so. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I hope it works, and I look forward to your report.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Thank you Paul for your kind assistance.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Happy to report the gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 4GB worked perfectly fine for my machine.  I had to download the drivers because the support disk didnt work (but i think thats because my CD drive is plugged into the wrong SATA port). But basically it was just plug and play so all's good. Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and thanks for letting us know that the GTX 1650 worked in your PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.