Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z4 G4 with Xenon Processor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I will be receiving a new HP Z4 workstation tomorrow.  Its was one of the "Ship today" systems pre-configured with a 1TByte Hard Drive.  I really wanted an SSD as my boot drive but they weren't available within my budget pre-configured.  I ordered a Crucial 500 GByte M2 SSD to go into one of the two M2 slots in the motherboard.  But now I'm wondering, will the system recognize that as a boot drive with the OS on it? 

One additional point, I initially ordered the NVMe version of the M2 SSD, but realized the M2 slots on the mother board don't accept those, so I also ordered the non-NVMe version, I''ll return the one that doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MScottC , welcome to the forum.

Q:  I'm wondering, will the system recognize that as a boot drive with the OS on it? 

A:  Yes, you will have to use cloning software to clone your hard drive (HDD) to the M.2, SSD.  The best way to proceed is, install the M.2 into the primary socket.  Install the cloning software onto the HDD.  Run the software.  It will ask for the Target drive.  You select the M.2.  Once the data has been cloned, you go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the M.2 and reboot.  It should recognize it as the boot drive.

Q:  I initially ordered the NVMe version of the M2 SSD, but realized the M2 slots on the mother board don't accept those, so I also ordered the non-NVMe version, I''ll return the one that doesn't work.

A:  Here are the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial for your workstation.  As you will see, it lists a NVMe.  You no doubt know that if Crucial recommends one of their products it is guaranteed to work.  If you have questions about Crucial's SSD, you can contact their Tech Support.  I have always found them to be extremely helpful.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@MScottC , welcome to the forum.

Q:  I'm wondering, will the system recognize that as a boot drive with the OS on it? 

A:  Yes, you will have to use cloning software to clone your hard drive (HDD) to the M.2, SSD.  The best way to proceed is, install the M.2 into the primary socket.  Install the cloning software onto the HDD.  Run the software.  It will ask for the Target drive.  You select the M.2.  Once the data has been cloned, you go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the boot order to the M.2 and reboot.  It should recognize it as the boot drive.

Q:  I initially ordered the NVMe version of the M2 SSD, but realized the M2 slots on the mother board don't accept those, so I also ordered the non-NVMe version, I''ll return the one that doesn't work.

A:  Here are the SSD's that are recommended by Crucial for your workstation.  As you will see, it lists a NVMe.  You no doubt know that if Crucial recommends one of their products it is guaranteed to work.  If you have questions about Crucial's SSD, you can contact their Tech Support.  I have always found them to be extremely helpful.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your quick reply.  

I saw the same a couple of days ago, but the information I've come across in all the HP documentation is the NVMe  works in cards you install in the PCIe slots, not the M2 slots on the MoBo..  I could be wrong.  I guess when the machine and the SSDs arrive tomorrow, I'll try the NMVe first and see if the machine recognizes it. If it does, I'll keep the NMVe and return the other one. 

One other question. How essential are heat sinks for these SSDs?

HP Recommended

The machine finally arrived, and I called HP support.  They did say the NVMe would work, so I installed it.  It indeed does, at a higher speed than the non-NMVe.   It was an easy install and the cloning of the OS went well.  The non-NMVe SSD is on its way back to Amazon.

HP Recommended

@MScottC 

Normally, you don't find heat sinks on M.2 SSD's unless they are on a high-powered gaming motherboard.  The sockets are placed so they draw the least amount of heat possible.  My MSI ACE motherboard has three M.2 sockets.  The only one that has a heat sink is the one farthest from the processor to keep it from throttling.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.